Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf seat runner extension

First post, so please excuse mistakes.
    Being 6.4 tall, i was desperate to extend the seat runner, hence bolted and welded a metal bar i had in the garage, to the seat runners and mounts.

Purpose of this thread was to show/add pictures as what took 2 hours - the pros may laugh but its served my purpose for my hobby car project.

Cant attach pics as im new or not approved by admin. Happy to send pics to admin if told to do so.

1. Removed the four bolts holding seat down via runner mounts
    2. Turned seat upside down and put on work surface.
    3. Drilled out the four flat head bolts (two on each runner), out of the two seat runners which were securing the mounts to the runners.
    4. there is a small spot weld next to each bolt i drilled out. the spot weld can be drilled out but with a small crowbar and tapping mounts with hammer, the spot weld comes apart cleanly.
    5. I cut the steel bar so i could extend seat going back by 3.5 inches
    6. drilled 4 holes in the bar as shown with white dots on the extension bar.
    7. attached 10mm flathead with bolts.
    8. front and back runner holes (due to drilling out original securing bolts) allowed easy bolt tightening/securing - other two bolts you can see in pic.
    9. few spot welds on inside between runner and extension bar.
    10. tried seat location to check mounts all lined up.
    11. took seat out and double checked all bolts tight and added an extra nut on each bolt.
    12. some WD40 in the mount holes, sorry that was done when i removed the seats, just to clean the bolt threads.

Cant believe how easy that was and also saw how i can add a bit more sponge on the front seat where thighs rest.

So pleased as the drive position is so comfortable now

I would very much like to see the pics (hint hint nudge nudge admin)
    I'm only 6ft but hate that the seat doesn't go back further, I can defo benefit from it going back another inch
    Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

HI Alex,
      if you want to send a PM (or however you can contact me) with your email, I can forward them. Happy to explain anything. Im not a mechanic, just reasonable at DIY !!

Comment

You should be able to add them here now your post is live

Comment

get your pics uploaded in photobucket, then paste the link after pressing the image symbol on the new window that opens, and press submit reply, that should do it
          the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Thanks Growler and Budweiser. I will add in the next couple of days in photobucket step works (never used it before and will have a go).

All I can say is , I have been jumping in and out of the seat and going over speed bumps fast but seat is absolutely solid - guess extension/fix worked!!

Comment

http://s1064.photobucket.com/

the website is soo slow but heres a few pics combined with description should be enough

Comment

Originally posted by FunToy View Post
                http://s1064.photobucket.com/

the website is soo slow but heres a few pics combined with description should be enough
                The link is jus taking me to the photo bucket home page

Comment

Alex, try this link. if this doesnt work, then im lost about photobucket...

Here's a link to that photo.
                  http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Fu...uy25a.jpg.html

Comment

Originally posted by FunToy View Post
                    Alex, try this link. if this doesnt work, then im lost about photobucket...

Here's a link to that photo.
                    http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Fu...uy25a.jpg.html
                    thats better, ok i see what you did there, is the whole seat and inch higher then?

Comment

Alex, height remains the same.
                      I drilled out the bolts holding the floor brackets to the seat runners. you can see the two brackets I removed on the seat runners when upside down. the other two are still on the runners (but took those off too so the runners are level front to back).

Please see my first post describing what I did. This mod has given me 3.5 inches extra leg room.

Comment

[IMG[/IMG]

thats better!
                        Last edited by budweiser; 1 March 2016, 22:42.

Comment

At 6'2" I find that the seat goes far enough back for my legs (just) but I coluld then really do with the steering wheel being a few inches closer. As it is I end up with the seat back very upright to reach the wheel.

Comment

sure it will be a nice solution for that,
                            a visit to scrappy and find one from toyota/ lexus

Comment

Working...
                            X