No announcement yet.

Just about to buy, then I saw this:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if the black one you refer to is the one on Autotrader in Bolton. Its not that much dearer than the Torquay one, but a helluva lot nearer. Its expensive, but surely there's a deal in there, and it looks nice. Wheels recently powder coated. Sunroof and SSRG type rear spoiler.
    Сви можемо

Comment

I know, the black one looks lovely and well kept, unfortunately found out it's sold. Seriously, every one I look at that's in good shape disappears before I get there!

The Torquay one is the best of the bunch at the minute me thinks... Probably cost a pretty penny driving the 430miles or so back up the road tho!

Never been that keen on the dark blue or green ones - a nice gray one with low miles and no rust, service history and easy life is what I'm hoping Santa might bring me in time for NEXT Christmas ...

Comment

Here we go, delivered to Liverpool(or Newcastle, even cheaper!). Cut the middle man!

http://www.beforward.jp/toyota/hilux..._country_id=45

Cheers

Comment

Now you're talking! I've looked at beforward previously, and the majority of the surfs look in excellent condition and with low miles, and in lots of colour options - perfect.

Has anyone had experience of using this route? I have hunted around and can't find information on what you do when it arrives at Newcastle for example? As far as getting it ready to drive away in the uk I mean.

If it was pretty straightforward then that would be the way to go. I've seen algys autos too - theirs are all ready to drive away, and the chap there warned me off importing from a different route as it was up to £1000 to get he car on the road AFTER it arrived here. Kind of put me off, and beforward (as far as I can see) don't offer this sort of service, let alone guidance.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Do a search on here for Algy''s Autos and read the lot.
            You can buy much more vehicle for your money here in the UK. Importation costs will only shorten your budget.

I'm in Bristol and I went to Newcastle to find mine.
            The flight up was a lot cheaper than the drive back down!

Take your time, something will come up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananamanjewell View Post
              Now you're talking! I've looked at beforward previously, and the majority of the surfs look in excellent condition and with low miles, and in lots of colour options - perfect.

Has anyone had experience of using this route? I have hunted around and can't find information on what you do when it arrives at Newcastle for example? As far as getting it ready to drive away in the uk I mean.

If it was pretty straightforward then that would be the way to go. I've seen algys autos too - theirs are all ready to drive away, and the chap there warned me off importing from a different route as it was up to £1000 to get he car on the road AFTER it arrived here. Kind of put me off, and beforward (as far as I can see) don't offer this sort of service, let alone guidance.

Any thoughts?
              I am not sure about the clearing process in the UK but surely it can't be too hard, that's how all surfs have arrived there after all...there'll probably be some import duty etc... if I was you I would do the research and see.
              Even if it costs you 1000 pounds to put on the road, you are still hovering around £3500 total, for a car YOU have chosen, fresh from Japland...(PS: I don't work for Beforward)

Good luck

Comment

Wow, I've done some reading. Think I may need to wait quite some time - importing seems to be a bad idea based on some others' experiences. I've looked at 12 or so and have let a few good ones go which I've learned to regret after seeing some others that are corroded and just generally not looked after. People also say that surfs can require deep pockets - my logic has been that a well looked after sorted low miles one will last and last providing its maintained properly. Avoiding the desire to modify seems to be the reason for expense, not so much general repairs... At least that's what I'm hoping !

Comment

Mine was imported in 2003. Its a 96 model. Ive had it since 2007 ( 2nd UK owner) Its cost me nothing really apart from normal maintenance. Anything else that's been done is because I wanted to do it. If you get the right one you don't need the deep pockets. Mine still has the same batteries in it as when I bought it. VED is not the worst, Insurance is not bad. Its not the most frugal vehicle fuel wise but for a low mileage user like me its not an issue and its a very versatile vehicle. Amazing what you can stash in the back with the seats folded, and handy for those items which are a little bit long and stop the tailgate from closing. Just open the back widow and let them hang out and if all thats not enough hire or buy a trailer. It'll drag that around without breaking sweat. It will also drag lesser vehicles up snowy inclines when they would otherwise sit spinning wheels on their summer or all weather tyres. Be patient, keep looking and dont despair and do something daft like buy a pajero or a disco.
                  Last edited by Bogus; 27 December 2015, 18:40.
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Oh yes, you really don't want to do that!^(mitsubishis, discos etc....)

keep looking and don't forget Prados and Colorados also great.

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, been looking at colorados and a couple of prados too, keep coming back to a surf though. Avoidance of mitsubishis and discos duly noted!

Think I had enough sense to avoid the discos already mind you; neighbour had one and it never worked. Just an expensive ornament for the driveway

Comment

I would import (NOT using A*gy's) - I bought mine off Andy (ex of these parts) who imported it himself. If anything, I think the process is simpler now.

I have read here that Ken Ad*m in Bolton loves cash and deals can be had. He always seems to have a few in.

Deep pockets? I have had to replace the batteries on mine, and a corroded rear heater pipe (that cost about a tenner from a plumbers merchant). Everything else is oil and filters. Nothing big should break.
                        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Great advice; does anyone have contact details or webpage for Ken ad*m...? Cursory searches have come up empty and its a name I don't know

Comment

Ken is the Surf dealer in Bolton, think he is AK Motors on Autotrader or kenadam on ebay.
                            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Thanks; I'll follow him on eBay and see what he sells - nothing at the minute. There are a couple come up recently -intercooled versions too, but pretty high mileages or very high prices.

Have to say big thanks to people who've taken the time to respond to the thread; having more experienced folk who will offer tips and guidance etc about everything Surf is so encouraging and helpful. Keep it up (!) as I'll be having more to say when I actually find a nice example....

Happy new year !!!

Comment

Mileage can be another minefield. Many still count up in Kms with only the speedo face changed to mph. Those that have been converted to count in miles, will have a count in km prior to the conversion which makes mileage " appear" higher than it is. Mine still counts in km and is somewhere around 170,000 on the clock. Thats only 106,000 miles and of course it could have been clocked in Japan prior to auction. I don know if that happens, but everybody will say it does, whether they know anything about it or not.
                                Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
                                X