Just about to buy, then I saw this:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just about to buy, then I saw this:-(

As my first post, and virtually on the eve of my first surf purchase, i really need to ask a question to more knowledgable 'surfers'. I have done plenty of research on this, but still am a little unsure if I'm making the right decision- please forgive my ignorance, but...

I'm in Scotland. I've found a gen 3 with 84k 3.0TD ssrx (widely advertised) fir 3495. Fastidious previous owner, some Toyota SH, a pretty clean example. It's 450miles away in Devon, so I got some pics sent showing the underneath. All looks prett rust-free and in good nick but what I've learnt is called the transfer case looks to be black shiny with oil. I've now discovered the (probable) issue being seals that need replacing but I have question or two....

1. How much would an everyday garage charge for doing the work as my knowledge/experience is embarrassingly weak?
    2. Is it a cool thing for this to happen, or should I worry about there being some underlying issue that caused it?
    3. Should bearings / anything else be replaced at the same time?
    4. If the garage selling it can't/won't do it before I make the trip to buy it (should I still go ahead?), can I drive it 400 miles back home in that condition?

It's actually hard to find a well-cared for gen3 up here in Scotland - hence my search is far flung.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Anyone?

Comment

An oil leak could be anywhere from top of engine to the gearbox/transfer case. Where you see oil, may not be where the leak is. Can you post any pics? If it's shiny it may even be diesel from the pump.

Nev.

Comment

Surf purchase!

Either have them fix whatever it is before you buy it or tell them you want at least a 3 month mechanical warranty. Or have it examined by AA/RAC but you will have to pay for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Tankerman View Post
          Or have it examined by AA/RAC
          Dont do this bit....

Comment

Bananaman,

For that money you will get a nice LC Colorado, maybe easier to find than a 3rd Gen?

It's the same chassis, suspension and engine as a 3rd Gen.
            A bit more spacious.

Merry xmas!

Comment

If this is the ebay one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-HIL...AAAOSwHPlWcVB9
              Im not sure its anything to worry about. Looks like it could be propshaft grease thats been thrown around the area rather than a leak. BUT, BUT its a wee bit pricey for a non intercooled version,
              Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks for the replies; to be honest I've had my heart somewhat stolen by the thought of a nice gen 3, though the land cruiser looks easier to find for sure. That eBay link IS the correct one; I requested detailed photos of the underneath, saw the black TC and assumed the worst. I'm in central Scotland, and decent low mileage examples are super hard to come by, so I'm learning - I asked the guy selling the eBay one to have a look see underneath and describe the TC coating as best he could - he thinks it's not a leak but a waxy sealant - like waxoyl. Don't understand why someone would waxoyl just that part tho, and not the whole underneath.

And yeah, it is a bit pricey! I'm struggling to find s decent example that someone has actually cared for properly! It will be my daily so needs to be a goon'un.

Appreciate all the help by the way - and merry Christmas

Comment

His description of 'waxy sealant" might reinforce my thinking that its just propshaft grease thats been thrown around over the years. Maybe someone else will come along and look at the pics now that Ive posted the ebay link and either reinforce or rubbish my opinion.
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Makes sense I guess; seller won't budge on price at all, despite the unanswered question about it. There's apparently inches thick paperwork provided by the previous owner, but I don't think there's any commentary on waxoyl or sealant treatments, so prop grease is the best suggestion so far ;-)

On a side note, these Surfs vary wildly in price - 3950 for a visually mint 110000mile example on auto trader is another steep example. I've seen a nice black one for 3750, another blue one at £4K (!) and the MOT history for that one made for interesting reading!

I previously thought that the thin side of £3K would find me a minted example. Turns out it's like finding the perfect wave; a fools errand that makes you wonder if they actually exist at all.

Any of the Scots lot know of any?

Comment

Surfs have dropped in value. A good 2nd gen is 12-1500 now. Id say a good
                      3rd gen 2-3k. But its what its worth to you.

Ps underside of my truck is covered in grease from the prop. It means someone has taken the care to grease it.

Comment

Another good point I guess. Assessing them from a another country makes the whole process a lot more tricky... Mind you, thaibrides.com seems to do a good trade ;-)

Comment

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/toy...ome/1147508667

Falkirk and Stirling are not a million miles apart. Got to be worth a look.
                          Сви можемо

Comment

Comment

Well spotted; went and had a look at the Falkirk one on Tuesday. Took my 6yr old laddie and had a bit of fun looking over it - low mileage 100,000K and engine pulls well. Underneath was a different story altogether however. A LOT of rust, though a reasonable price and a nice guy who'd probably take an offer on it. Not really the example I've been looking for though...

Comment

Working...
                              X