Aerial options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial options

Anybody replace their 2nd gen aerial with a non-toyota one. Mines broken, but cause the aerial is mounted on an angle of the fender the local car shop doesnt have anything to offer me to fit in the same place. Any suggestions folks. Mines not electric.

PS any chance of axing a few of the stickys - they're hogging my screen
    Last edited by JimL; 11 October 2003, 21:08.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. Fitted an old Bosch aerial I'd had hanging around for a while using the angled washers off the Toyota original. I had to cut the washers down a bit because the threaded portion of the Bosch wasn't as long as the original but it fitted ok. I guess this would work with any aerial - the length from the top of the thread to the shoulder is the important thing.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
      Anybody replace their 2nd gen aerial with a non-toyota one. Mines broken, but cause the aerial is mounted on an angle of the fender the local car shop doesnt have anything to offer me to fit in the same place. Any suggestions folks. Mines not electric.
      Hi Jim

There are a couple of Surf's around my way that have got the Little Rubber Aerial on them.
      Spoke to one of them Yesterday (he said he was going to have alook at the forum?) said his aerial got snapped off and he couldn't find a decent one so went for that one, fitted OK and works fine (so he said)?
      OR you could go for an Internal one.
      Looks like a thin black strip that sticks to the windscreen (at the top) they are available in Halfords.
      Got one on the wifes Mondy, got fed up replacing them when she went through the car wash and forgot to take the original one off

Colin
      NEVER REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVE DONE...REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVEN'T

Comment

Hi Jim,

I have the same problem as my aerial is broken at the moment, and I dont want to go filling the hole in the wing.

I have asked Halfords for a UNIVERSAL High Angle Aerial and they then ask what car is it for, and as soon as I say a Toyota Surf they shudder and say ohh no way.

I will get in touch with some contacts at Volkswagen, as they used to do one for the OLD Beetle which I believe will do the job. If you want to try your local VW dealer for one the part no was 111 999 133A (if I remember rightly) But it may have supercedded. its a couple of years since I worked for them!.

Alternatively try your local independant accessory shop they may be able to help.

Regards

Paul
        DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

You could try a decent Ham radio/CB/Truckstop and ask for a 3/8" ball mount. The actual aerial mount is like a ball, split at 45 deg from top to bottom, so whatever angle the surface is, you can still get your antenna vertical. The beauty of these is that they are extremely strong and you can unscrew the aerial for security/ off roading/putting the car in the garage. They even do a version with a shock spring......bash yer aerial and it twangs back to the perpendicular.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

thanks for the replies so far everybody, the one you describe Phil is what i've been waiting for someone to say, rubber ones are fine if they'll fit but the whip one suits this animal better, tell me more if theres more to tell, hmmm so i want a cb aerial with a 3/8 inch ball and a 45 degree angle on it ???

also could such an aerial dual as a cb aerial or would there be an interferance

Comment

Jim,
              There would be no problem fitting and using a CB aerial in that position, but you would have to replace the coax with some decent stuff (RG58u or simiilar) and either fit a manual coax switch so you can use the aerial for the CB or the broadcast radio. You might be lucky enough to get hold of a diplexer, which will allow you to use either radio without manually switching over.
              I'll have a hunt around for some useful web links.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

A universal high angle one will fit, I put one on our 'Runner last year, got it from the local car shop.

If the parts monkey asks what it's for, just say Mk3 Hilux pickup, they use the same front wings.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                  thanks for the replies so far everybody, the one you describe Phil is what i've been waiting for someone to say, rubber ones are fine if they'll fit but the whip one suits this animal better, tell me more if theres more to tell, hmmm so i want a cb aerial with a 3/8 inch ball and a 45 degree angle on it ???

also could such an aerial dual as a cb aerial or would there be an interferance
                  It would probably be OK to use for both but you have to ensure the radio(car sterep) is totaly isolated from the CB before you transmit. Otherwise you will kill the stereo.

It would be much safer (and easier to avoid reverse power to the transmitter and hence a high VSWR) if you fit a purpose built Stereo aerial and also a purpose built CB aerial. Phil S has a small aerial attached to the bracket of his rear wheel carrier and it looks neat and out of the way...

Phil..

Comment

Working...
                  X