I know it's not a Surf, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's not a Surf, but...

OK, the rebuild of the XC has stalled, I'm trying the get the steering knuckles back on and can't compress the shocks. They are attached at the top and to the ARB link arm and that's it. I've got the springs compressed (they are coilovers) and every time I try to compress them (using the transmission jack), the whole thing moves outwards from the car. I've tried strapping it to the chassis but when it's pulled back enough to stop it from coming outwards, there isn't enough vertical movement available to get the bolts lined up. That's trying it with the ball joint attached, but bolting the knuckle in and trying to compress the shock again gives the same result and I can't get the ball joint bolt in.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to do this?

Cheers.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
    OK, the rebuild of the XC has stalled, I'm trying the get the steering knuckles back on and can't compress the shocks. They are attached at the top and to the ARB link arm and that's it. I've got the springs compressed (they are coilovers) and every time I try to compress them (using the transmission jack), the whole thing moves outwards from the car. I've tried strapping it to the chassis but when it's pulled back enough to stop it from coming outwards, there isn't enough vertical movement available to get the bolts lined up. That's trying it with the ball joint attached, but bolting the knuckle in and trying to compress the shock again gives the same result and I can't get the ball joint bolt in.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to do this?

Cheers.
    Heavy duty ratchet straps mate.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

These are Nivomat shocks it turns out, so I have to take them off, compress them in stages and tie them down, so I'll use ratchet straps to do this and they'll hold it in place as it goes back on.....fun, fun, fun....

Cheers for the reply mate

Comment

OK, you are all very welcome to point and laugh.....I had left the front ARB link arms attached as I (foolishly) thought they would offer some support to stop the shock from moving around. Once I had taken them off, the shock compressed with ease using the transmission jack with the 'basket' off, slid in the lower bolt, pushed the CV joint into the hub, pivoted the knuckle up and slid in the top bolt.

Tomorrow night I'll fit the remaining three refurb'd calipers, fill it with brake fluid, bleed and finish the other jobs before tracking down the oil leak - my suspicions are still on either a damaged or missing rocker gasket.

Thanks for your replies and advice, very, very much appreciated.

Comment

ok then

Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

OK, you are all very welcome to point and laugh.....I had left the front ARB link arms attached as I (foolishly) thought they would offer some support to stop the shock from moving around. Once I had taken them off, the shock compressed with ease using the transmission jack with the 'basket' off, slid in the lower bolt, pushed the CV joint into the hub, pivoted the knuckle up and slid in the top bolt.

Tomorrow night I'll fit the remaining three refurb'd calipers, fill it with brake fluid, bleed and finish the other jobs before tracking down the oil leak - my suspicions are still on either a damaged or missing rocker gasket.

Bwahahahahahahahaha,

www.overfab.uk

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Well, I finally have space in the workshop again....bring on the Jeep Grand Cherokee chassis and running gear, 4.7 litre V8 and Capri body....

Jobs done:

Remove all four calipers, bring back to metal finish then polish and paint, fit refurb kits and clean out with air line
                Remove steering knuckles, clean back to metal, paint and prepare for refitting
                Fit new ball joints
                Replace steering link arms
                Replace front ARB links
                Replace upper engine mount
                Replace lower (chassis) engine mount (O/S)
                Replace transmission mount
                Repair wheel arch trim N/S)
                Replace back tyres
                Replace O/S and N/S CV joints
                Clean up, paint and refit brake disk covers
                Flush and refil brake system
                Clear fault codes

It's working, it's quieter, the resonant vibrations have gone and no ABS fault anymore.

Not bad for an office boy.

Comment

I seem to remember that the ARB was also an issue with the previous motor stuck on the ramp for many a week

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                    I seem to remember that the ARB was also an issue with the previous motor stuck on the ramp for many a week
                    That sir, was a feature to prevent a lot of heavy equipment landing t/c down on the floor, like a tubular shelf if you will

Comment

Working...
                    X