Hold up after hold up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hold up after hold up

Been a strange couple of days, as some of you know, my Surf failed its MOT on nothing other than the two lower ball joints.
    I'd had all four ball joints for a little while so thought it would be an easy hour in the sunshine. How wrong I was, tried to remove the bottom bolt from the shock absorber and the bottom nut from the ARB drop link, only to find the shock absorber bolt had seized to the sleeve in the shock absorber, said sleeve had detached from the eye of the shock altogether, ( fortunately, I have spare shocks ). Tried to remove the lower bolt of the ARB drop link, only for it to shear off. Ordered replacements from RT.
    So, over the last couple of days, I've cut the old shocks off and replaced them with spare ones, replaced the ARB drop links with new ones and replaced the lower ball joints, i was just going to leave it there and go for another MOT, but, a little voice said it would be a waste of time as I'd come this far, not to change the top ball joints as well.
    That's where the real fun starts, took the top balljoint off on the passenger side and got the new one out the box, only to find a small knick in the rubber boot. Quick phone call to RT only to find out I'd bought them in September of 2013 !, so, out of warranty and no chance of a replacement been sent out. However, I was advised I could order a replacement rubber boot, not a lot of choice really.
    So, while waiting for it to arrive, I figured I could use the other new one on the passenger side then remove the old one on the drivers side in readiness for the replacement boot arrival. At this point I'm thinking get all finished on one side and just need to pop the new in on Monday, MOT on Tuesday.
    No, to my surprise the replacement arrived yesterday morning, opened the parcel and, I've been sent a replacement rubber boot for a track rod end ( it's half the size it should be ). Another phone call to RT and their closed for the weekend. No problem, I'll get the old top one out and call them on Monday, started to fill the two new ones with grease and the bottom one has a pin hole in the rubber boot as well, grease is oozing out. So, no MOT with that then ! Now, I'll have to destroy a perfectly good balljoint because of a pinhole in the rubber boot and buy another ball joint and arrange the correct replacement boot.
    What's going on at RT? Two new balljoints, both with holes in the rubber boots and the wrong part sent out.

I am not going to comment on RT in this reply.
    However it is frickin annoying when anything that you have waited delivery for is incorrect/damaged etc.
    The whole process just grinds to a halt.

Frustrating.

Ball joint rubber boots.
    The boots on mine have little nipples that when the joints are greased ooze out any excess grease.

Hope you get it sorted soon
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Thanks for replying and thanks for not commenting on RT themselves, the post wasn't intended to "have a go" at them.
      As you said it's just frustrating when everything stops because of delivery / manufacturing issues.
      I thought that I was doing well with changing everything, especially as I had to cut the old shocks off and the drop link that didn't shear off had to be cut off, not to mention the lower ball joint bolt that had been butchered by an idiot at some point.
      I've got a couple other cars that need work sitting on my drive, all three have been held up for stupid reasons / problems.
      New day tomorrow though, so phone calls to be made, orders to place and start again, lol

Comment

I know you've already ordered them, but for future you can get boot replacement s on eBay.

I don't get why you were taking off arb or shocks to do ball joints tho....I managed with them attached, but it's done now.

If you put a trolley jack under the disc & belt the lower wishbone with a hammer you should be able to separate the ball joint without damaging it through use of a splitter just watch your fingers in case jack slips.

Comment

Didn't think it would be possible, to change them with the shocks and drop links attached, having seen the state of the shocks that came of though, it might be just as well i changed them.

Haven't ordered them yet, can't until they open tomorrow. Need to arrange a replacement for the wrong one that was sent anyway. Will definitely check eBay next time though

Comment

theres a glue for rubber its called locktite 406 its used to put car door rubbers onto the frame it holds very strong and would fix any split rubber i have used it many times on all sorts of things and its still holding well

its good stuff to have in the toolbox
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks Judwak, never heard of that, I'll invest in some for possible future use though

Comment

Working...
              X