XC90 ready for strip down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XC90 ready for strip down

Well, with the Surf back on terra firma it's time to attack the XC, first job is replace the front CV joints with the ABS rings on them, then replace the rear callipers.

Is it worth investing in a press? I've seen a 12 T one for decent money and I figure if it's going to be any use for bearings, I can probably use it for UJs too.

So, the question is, 6, 10 or 12 T?
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

I think you already know the answer.

Bigger is always better!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzy G View Post
      I think you already know the answer.

Bigger is always better!
      Maybe

Tax rebates always
      tax bills never
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I've been advised to look for one that can manage incremental stages, and maybe the 12T makes sense, or a bigger one that I can change the jack on....

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
          Well, with the Surf back on terra firma it's time to attack the XC, first job is replace the front CV joints with the ABS rings on them, then replace the rear callipers.

Is it worth investing in a press?
          Given the state of your vice, the answer is yes

Comment

What do you mean? It's in perfect working order.

The old one. Well, that's not so functional.......

Comment

Just a bit of advice Andy. Look for a decent second hand press from an engineering works.you have plenty of space in your workshop.The 12 ton sealey and clarke floor presses are good but they are a bit flimsy and the chassis is a bit small for any big stuff.with a bit of fiddling you can just about get a half shaft in them to replace the bearings.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                Just a bit of advice Andy. Look for a decent second hand press from an engineering works.you have plenty of space in your workshop.The 12 ton sealey and clarke floor presses are good but they are a bit flimsy and the chassis is a bit small for any big stuff.with a bit of fiddling you can just about get a half shaft in them to replace the bearings.
                That's good advice Mark, cheers.

Comment

What a faff. Took the calipers off all round, since the bleed nipples on both tears are seized I'm getting some refurb ones this week, the fronts will clean up and I'll fit the refurb kits in them. Took 45 mins to remove the OSF hub bolt.

Can't get the hubs off as the bolts are fused on both sides and won't budge, so I've got two steering knuckles on the way this week to replace the lot, and they include the hub and disc. Hopefully when they arrive I can clean them up, fit the new CV joints I've ordered and get that done.

When I was looking over the engine mounts, the OS lower is bent, so no wonder there is so much vibration coming through. The transmission mount is shot to bits too, so they are coming from GSF this week.

Once that's all done on Saturday, it will be time to take the rocker cover off, stick a new gasket on and hopefully say goodbye to the oil leaks, clean the spillage away and clean the engine bay up a bit and tidy up my airbox with cone filter combo.

We won't recognise it when that's all done, oh and new springs and rear shocks too....

Comment

Pity its not a Toyota, even bolts that are 20 years plus come undone.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

I've got the rear calipers apart, and got the bleed nipples off too, so that's saved me over £140. Productive evening.

Comment

Working...
                      X