Bike Project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Project?

Nothing to do with Surfs or even Toyo, but would welcome your views.

It has been a long time since I have had a bike, and the garage is looking pretty empty and a bit sad, so with all the Surf bits I am selling I have decided to invest the money in a new (to me) toy.
    I am looking for a project bike to rebuild and put my own stamp on,I get almost as much fun/satisfactio from building them as I do from riding.
    The last one was loosely based on a Z650 B1.

I want to stay away from the "barn find " but stick to more spares repairs or unfinished project types

Do any of you build bikes or have any experiences you would care to share?

Ta
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

If you find an Africa Twin in a barn pop it round my house

Comment

LOL

I had to move one out of the way to get to a NS400R.........

Was more thinking along the lines of something a bit less exotic like a gsxf or an air cooled beemer

Spares or repairs seems to be the way to go, whatever I get, I am going to end up rebuilding/repainting fabbing up bits for welding etc....
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

had to give up bikes,a couple of years ago due to health problems, bit of a wrench after having 52 over the years.
        dont think you can go wrong with a BMW,though, they hold good money,and spares are easy and cheap to get hold of. one of the last bikes i had was a K100rs,sold it for more money than i bought it for,with people queuing up from all over the country to come and see it!
        same with the final one i had,a yamaha DT400mx,a real barn find from the USA, which i had imported,and registered in this country.absolutely mint after 35 years in the Californian sun. sold that for much more than it owed me. nigh on broke my heart though. a lot of classic Zed's and Goldwings coming into the country from the states ,now.some are just stunningly original.

Comment

I think the imports are going to be way more than I want to spend, my sister who lives in NJ bought a Classic Triumph from Cali I would have sworn it had been restored but it hadn't seen rain or road salt.Ever.
          The K series Beemer are not on my list but could well be.
          I think though they might be a bit more tech than I wanted,but am open to suggestions.
          I think eBay is the way to go.
          I have found a few that have taken my fancy
          A R80 that has been stripped down to
          A gsxf that is a project the one is bored with
          Plus a whisper of a zed triple which my uncle is going to look at for me
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

ooow!
            zed triple, sweet. cant knock the R80 series, i had 4 if memory serves,did a long spell in the early 80's as a dispatch rider in london,so it was all shaft drives. bullet proof really. the K100rs is a lot more simple than it looks. its just a 4 cylinder car engine,turned 90 degrees ,on its side.
            that zed triple could be worth a fortune. getting the exhaust system could prove interesting,though.

Comment

As of lately i'm in to the streettrackers, or bobbers what ever the name is.
              I like the Honda CB750's and XL600R's

http://www.caferacerdreams.com.es/motos/

Comment

I've got a Suzuki GS1000 S languishing in an old shed. Spent £1k on the engine getting it re-bored, cranks ground and welded, heavy duty clutch etc and then never got round to finishing it.

One day.

Comment

Can't go far wrong with an R...
                  K100 I always found a bit top heavy, still had 2 though

Comment

Thanks for the replies definitely gives me a few more to consider.
                    Most likely air or air/oil cooled.

This is sort of what I'm after-----------but this is more what my budget is like
                    Attached Files
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I bet the C90 will be running long after we all aren't.

Comment

Working...
                      X