Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed Aircon- Now Truck Won't Start

Hello,

After a very muddy pay and play the other day and having to remove and clean the radiator of caked on mud, i decided to remove the aircon (which hasn't worked in the 7 years that i've owned the truck anyway due to a leak). This was to give easier access to the radiator/ alternator/ more airflow/ less weight, etc.

Anyway, i removed the compressor, the condenser, and the fan that sits behind the grill on the left hand side as you face the truck. I left the aircon wiring loom intact, just disconnected earths and unplugged what ever was being removed.

As the cooling system was drained at the time from cleaning out the rad, i decided not to start the truck until i had some coolant back in the system. This turned out to be two weeks later (today).

I went out today to start it up and it wouldn't start, there was a click, but it wouldn't turn over. I charged the batteries and still, nothing. I thought then that one or both of the earths that i disconnected might need to be reconnected, which i did, to no avail.

As said, the only thing that i've done is removed the compressor, condenser and small aircon fan. Unfortunately, and perhaps stupidly, i didn't keep any of the above items to reconnect if anything went wrong. I am just left with three plugs, one of which went to the compressor, one to the fan and one to a <thing- temperature sensor?> that's plugged into it as shown in the pictures.

I can hear the normal click from the engine bay when i turn the ignition on (starter relay?) but nothing else. when i turn the key to start the engine nothing happens though. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

I wish I could help buddy.
    I will be careful about removing mine if and when the time comes. I just had it regassed and its great but there is green stuff leaking out of the join between the rad and the bottom pipe...

Comment

Yeah, that's the leak detection dye, should be an easy fix at a A/C place..

I am also thinking that this could possibly have something to do with the fact that the pay and play that i went to the day before removing the aircon involved being head light deep in muddy water for about 10 mins until being pulled out, however the truck ran happily all day at the site and then for 50-60 odd miles home after that, so it doesn't seem likely...

Comment

Originally posted by Lewd Lux Lover View Post
        I wish I could help buddy.
        I will be careful about removing mine if and when the time comes. I just had it regassed and its great but there is green stuff leaking out of the join between the rad and the bottom pipe...
        That ain't gonna keep on leaking.

It will eventually stop, probably after about 800 grammes or so has finished doing its bit for a few warmer summers.........
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Sounds like starter motor contacts. Easy fix and available on the bay.
          Сви можемо

Comment

Do you have an alarm that didn't like flat batteries?

Comment

That happened when we did GWH's truck I think it's some thing to do with a earth wire ....... Surfenstein might remember.
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Cheers don thats useful info there.

I noticed it today so it'll go into the place I got it gassed up at tomorrow and see about getting it sorted.

@snorkenor: yar and its not like we couldn't all do with a few more of those... lol. I'll not be letting it leak itself into a penguin, no worries.

Starter contacts sounds like a damn good idea. The muddy water wouldn't have harmed it at the time but after two weeks stood.....

Comment

Penguins don't care.

If you want a surprise get a black light and have a look.....

Bio has it, isn't one of those ring crimped cables supposed to go back on?

Keep the fan wiring connectors off and also the small grey single wire plug.
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                    Do you have an alarm that didn't like flat batteries?
                    Just an immobiliser, but that's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                      Thanks, will look into that...

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                        Penguins don't care.

If you want a surprise get a black light and have a look.....

Bio has it, isn't one of those ring crimped cables supposed to go back on?

Keep the fan wiring connectors off and also the small grey single wire plug.
                        Yeah, those were connected but still no joy...

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                          Just thinking about this, the clicking sound that i mentioned isn't the loud 'click click click' that you get when the starter motor doesn't want to turn, it's a single click from a relay or other small component when i turn the key to the second position. When i turn the key all the way to start the engine there's no sound at all, but there is a drain on the battery as the dash lights dim and the clock display goes off temporarily. Does that sound like more of an electrical component fault or still a starter motor problem?

Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post
                            Just thinking about this, the clicking sound that i mentioned isn't the loud 'click click click' that you get when the starter motor doesn't want to turn, it's a single click from a relay or other small component when i turn the key to the second position. When i turn the key all the way to start the engine there's no sound at all, but there is a drain on the battery as the dash lights dim and the clock display goes off temporarily. Does that sound like more of an electrical component fault or still a starter motor problem?

Thanks..
                            I have it in my head that that's just a means of reducing current drain on the battery and triggered by the switch position...someone who knows electrickery will clear it up no doubt.

Comment

If you have a multi meter I would suggest you check the battery(ies)
                              Mine will start on 11.5 volts.
                              That is after the glow plug sequence has finished.
                              If at rest with nothing on you have less than 12.0 volts or so then I would suggest that either one or both of your batteries are dead/dying.

Disconnect the batteries and check them independently.
                              If you have a battery that is at a significantly lower voltage than the other it will drag the "good" battery down.

It may be possible to recover the "bad" battery by sticking it on a battery charger.
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X