One of those, days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of those, days

So, my Hilux fails its MOT, just on the two bottom ball joints though ( karma payback for not changing them last year when I bought them), glorious weather though so thought I'd change them, the top ones and all the shocks to get it all out the way in one go. Aiming for fresh MOT on Monday.
    No, the split pin on the castle nut was so corroded it snapped on both sides of the castle nut, filed it flush and the nut came off without any further problems, the four bolts that hold the bottom ballpoint in place all came out no problem as well. But, then, broke the ball joint free but it won't come out, thought I'd unbolt the bottom of the shock and the ARB link so I could drop the lower arm, the end of the link that goes through the ARB sheared off ( ho-hum ), I order a pair of ARB links, then go to remove the bolt at the bottom of the shock only for the shock mount to bend and come away from the arm, so, no other option but to take the shock off at the top mount which of course is seized solid and no matter what I try, all it does is spin the entire top section of the shock. Having had enough I decide to give up for the day, pick all the tools up, pick my trolley jack up and it falls apart in my hands........
    So, I've gone from failed MOT on two ball joints, which I already had replacements for, to needing two ARB links, two bottom arms and two shocks. might as well get to top arms and a trolley jack!, then to top it all off the guys doing the tracking on my Charger ring and tell me they can do the tracking tomorrow morning but they need it by 8:30 am
    I'm off to prepare a shopping list, lol

Exclusive club member

Well at least you belong to an exclusive club.

My Surf failed a mot.

Go to the naughty step

Comment

That is "one of those days"

Must be beer O'clock.
      Last edited by andyverran; 17 April 2015, 20:40.

Comment

Sorry to hear yours failed aswell Woodwarm,

Doesn't end there Andy, managed to get the Charger to the alignment place this morning, only an hour late like, my drive was partially blocked when I wanted to leave then therecwascwhat looked like smoke from under the dash while stuck in traffic, managed to pull into a side road to check it, no sign of fire, just steam from the heater drying out the moisture from sitting outdoors overnight.
        Got new tie rods fitted, tracking done and still pulling to the right. In depth poking, prodding and general abusing of suspension and 3 hours later, all fingers are pointing to the upper balljoint on the right side. Looks like the its allowing the wheel to move so much that the UCA is hitting the wheel and happily chewing its way through the balance weight on the inner rim.
        Luckily I have replacement ball joints for it, but both my cars are now off the road for the same reason, still got transport as I have three for sale, just annoying and unlucky I guess.
        Still, the sun was shining, lol

Comment

its horrid when things happen all in one go
          we do it to ower selfs tho driving imported old trucks some times i think why do i do it and sit shaking my head
          then i drive her and soon remember its worth the bad days realy
          could be worse could be driving a landy

mot day felt like this for me
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzC...ATH1A&index=20
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Could be worse, I went to work by bicycle lol.

Glad the Charger will survive, wouldn't want that burned crispy.

Comment

MOT day always feels like that for me, never feel comfortable about going for one.
              My Surf is 22yrs old and my Charger is 47yrs old, so problems like this should really be expected or perhaps better prepared for, however, I'd still rather have them both as they are, it's just too much fun driving them, lol. And you can fix these yourself at home.

They're all cursed, every last one of them, but we love them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by woodwarm View Post
                Well at least you belong to an exclusive club.

My Surf failed a mot.

Go to the naughty step
                No mate. My surf PASSED mot.
                Should have said.
                You belong to the "My Surf failed a mot" club

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                  Could be worse, I went to work by bicycle lol.

Glad the Charger will survive, wouldn't want that burned crispy.
                  Feel for you Andy, hope it was bike riding weather for you. Just a temporary setback with the Charger as always, she just likes to keep me on my toes and surprise me, lol. Might have destroyed the front tyres on the way home though, the squealing was awful, never made so much noise without a burnout

Comment

Originally posted by woodwarm View Post
                    No mate. My surf PASSED mot.
                    Should have said.
                    You belong to the "My Surf failed a mot" club

Ah, right, my misunderstanding hopefully all fixed sooner than later without having to buy anymore parts, there's not much left on the front suspension that I haven't bought, lol

Comment

Working...
                    X