yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in a surf!! But it's a tiny bit poorly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in a surf!! But it's a tiny bit poorly!

Hi everyone! I was a member on here years ago when I had my first surf and now I've finally got my second one im so glad to see you all still here!

I bought a 3lt-Ssrg gen 2. I love it. It has done 87000miles! I was searching daily for 'a goodun' at the right price for me and after 6 weeks of looking I got one. However she does have an issue. From a standing start,full throttle, she pulls steady (perhaps a little too steady) up to around 55-60. Then tge revs hold on around 4k and she refuses to change gear for a few seconds. It's then pot luck what happens. Sometimes she will change gear and continue to pull although not with the same clout my last surf did. Sometimes she just bounces around 4k with power dropping off then coming back and then seems to clear a bit then continue to pull. Most often she stutters a bit as described then the little Orange engine management light comes on, there is a big drop in power and the light will only clear if I roll the revs right down to almost idle speed, light go out, drives as did before light came on. Over the last 5 years it has covered the grand total of 170km (was rescued from a farm in Devon) it went straight thru the mot and Tbh thought I had got the bargain of the century. This issue only became apparant on long steep uphill road section between greenlanes in Devon. I don't drive it hard enough for it to be a massive issue. That being said ITS DOING MY HEAD IN. Gonna do a full service at the weekend cos I suspect its been a while. After reading some old posts on here I have taken off the little filter under the air intake and given that a blast out with carb cleaner. It did spew out a lot of black crap to the point I was convinced that was the problem but I have just gone for a quick lap down the motorway, it did feel slightly more perky but the same thing happened. Any ideas welcomed. Thanks to anyone who has managed to get to the end ofthis extreamly long and wordy post. I think I'm sleep deprived and it's all cos of this bloody fault!!!!

Cheers

Look at simple things first, if it's been sitting a while, put a new fuel filter in it (buy a couple) and run it almost empty a few times by just putting a bit of fuel in the tank each time to clear out any stale fuel in the system.

Get some Forte diesel cleaner (from a Rough 4x4 parts supplier of your choice) and fill up the next fuel filter with it, and give it some beans.

Check the ATF too just to see what state that's in, get a new air filter as well and probably worth an oil and filter change too.

If it's still doing it, check the injectors and fuel pump for leak back.

You may want to try and get fault codes off it too - can't remember how this is done on the 2nd Gen, if it's the same as the 3.0 3rd Gen then it's bridging the connectors in the socket then reading the flashes on the dash of the EML - there's bound to be posts on here on how. But, it may have kept data on what caused the EML to come on while driving so you could use this for fault diagnosis.
    Last edited by MudSurfer; 26 March 2015, 11:16.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Check ATF level and condition.May be that its never been changed and so will need doing.If the level is low i would be inclined to drain it anyway and fill with new
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
        Check ATF level and condition.May be that its never been changed and so will need doing.If the level is low i would be inclined to drain it anyway and fill with new
        ^ What he said...

...plus if it's stood for a while sediment (very, very fine) can make the valves sticky (small ball bearings run up a track blocking of oil flow/diverting oil flow to get the gear change done). A change of fluid and a good long drive with regular use there after, followed by another change may sort it out.
        Last edited by andyverran; 26 March 2015, 22:10.

Comment

Wot they said guv.

Wouldn't bother with snake oil fuel cleaner wotsit additive.

Fill the new fuel filter with atf & drive it like u stole it.

Works very well

Comment

I'd say much the same ...
            Check ya Atf level n the Colour (should look like red wine)
            Change ya Fuel filter, Topping it up with Atf ..
            Start ya Truck n take it for run ...
            Jobs a good en !!

Oh n almost forgot welcome back to the fold

13+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota
            Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 28 March 2015, 23:58.
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
            X