M6 Toll road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M6 Toll road

Anyone used this yet? Have been told that there is an optical reader that checks axle height which determines charges £2 for cars, £6 for vans, £10 for trucks.

You got to chuck your money into a funnel which then opens the barrier.

What if it gets it wrong regarding axle height and askes for more ££ than it should?

What if you don't have enought ££ to pay??

Is there a way of turning round at the barriers and re-joining the M6 un-tolled section??

Might be down that way shortly so might give it a go, have passed the section before and am a little disturbed as to the way you get funnelled into the toll section, you got to keep your wit's about you otherwise you end up at the toll barriers............convenient or what?

We've used it, £2 last year, £3 last month. Just paid the guy in his little booth.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Rob

I know Marky has used the toll road and said it was good . I have been past the turning and never got funnelled into it . If anything ,the north bound toll I did not see the turning for .

Rick
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
        Anyone used this yet? Have been told that there is an optical reader that checks axle height which determines charges £2 for cars, £6 for vans, £10 for trucks.

You got to chuck your money into a funnel which then opens the barrier.

What if it gets it wrong regarding axle height and askes for more ££ than it should?

What if you don't have enought ££ to pay??

Is there a way of turning round at the barriers and re-joining the M6 un-tolled section??

Might be down that way shortly so might give it a go, have passed the section before and am a little disturbed as to the way you get funnelled into the toll section, you got to keep your wit's about you otherwise you end up at the toll barriers............convenient or what?
        Used the toll when it was first opened whilst travelling up to Manchester, certainly made the round trip in one day easier.
        From what I can remember not all the tolls are auto so just use a booth that is manned or ladied so as not to seem sexist.
        Well sign posted so it isn't easy to join the new stretch of road by mistake.
        Started with a beast now I have a beauty

Comment

Originally posted by b19aus
          Used the toll when it was first opened whilst travelling up to Manchester, certainly made the round trip in one day easier.
          From what I can remember not all the tolls are auto so just use a booth that is manned or ladied so as not to seem sexist.
          Well sign posted so it isn't easy to join the new stretch of road by mistake.

I use it whenever I head south towards the NEC. it's great
          Not sure about this "axle/height" thing but I know that when I went through the "basket booth" it cost me £2 for the car & camping trailer yet my mate got stung for £6 as he went through a "manned" booth and they told him he had to pay extra
          NO WORRIES!
          Rusty

Comment

Manned/womanned (that a word??) booths, not a problem then...........but what if your out of cash? Will they bill you?
            and what if you change your mind can you still get back onto the M6 no pay road?

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
              Manned/womanned (that a word??) booths, not a problem then...........but what if your out of cash? Will they bill you?
              and what if you change your mind can you still get back onto the M6 no pay road?
              Never tried it on without cash.......................... .............................. .
              could always go off road up grass banks that line the road.
              Started with a beast now I have a beauty

Comment

I had an utter mare at Dartford crossing for the bridge a little while ago... cleverly took one pound and threw it in the bucket at which it promptly came out of the reject bin. I tried again... and again. Hmmm, looky looky - FAKE QUID!!!
                So the hazards go on and I sit there causing havoc across 4 lanes! After 5mins a nice lady came along took my fake quid and let me through I bet if I went through a manned/womaned booth they would have let me through anyway!
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                  I had an utter mare at Dartford crossing for the bridge a little while ago... cleverly took one pound and threw it in the bucket at which it promptly came out of the reject bin. I tried again... and again. Hmmm, looky looky - FAKE QUID!!!
                  So the hazards go on and I sit there causing havoc across 4 lanes! After 5mins a nice lady came along took my fake quid and let me through I bet if I went through a manned/womaned booth they would have let me through anyway!

Youre supposed to eat the chocolate ones
                  Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                    Youre supposed to eat the chocolate ones

Comment

Yeah I've usedi it a few times - was £2 but just went up to £3 for cars - thats all I was charged, and the road was empty every time I've been on it! Defo saves time!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I've used it a few times Rob & the time saved missing B.ham traffic and wasted fuel sat going nowhere makes the £3 (it was subsidised at £2 for the 1st year only AFAIK) worth every penny. Don't think you would be able to rejoin the M6 once you've commited yourself down the toll part but there are pleanty of exits along that stretch (all with there oun booths).

Ever since the new section opened, if I have to go past Coventry then I wouldnt go any other way m8.

Fish
                        If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                          Rob

I know Marky has used the toll road and said it was good . I have been past the turning and never got funnelled into it . If anything ,the north bound toll I did not see the turning for .

Rick
                          No problems at all £2 & your on your way
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

it was a bit confusing when it first opened cos they hadn't got all the signs and road markings in sync with each other...

haven't used it but i imagine if you turn up with no money then they'll call you dopey for doing it!

usually use tags for severn and darford tolls... just drive up to the gate, the machine picks up the tag electronically and flashes the price and you drive through... only had trouble once when i went through the wide load lane and it couldn't detect the tag cos i couldn't get close enough to the reader.
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                            X