Brake pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pistons

Got front pads from fella at local parts shop and asked him if he had any fancy tool for pushing the caliper pistons back in. his reply was 'dont force them in, you have to wind them back in coz you'll upset the seal in the master cylinder by forcing fluid back the other way'

Is he wrong or is he right but about certain other models

Originally posted by JimL
    Got front pads from fella at local parts shop and asked him if he had any fancy tool for pushing the caliper pistons back in. his reply was 'dont force them in, you have to wind them back in coz you'll upset the seal in the master cylinder by forcing fluid back the other way'

Is he wrong or is he right but about certain other models
    I have only ever had to wind rear brake disc calipers in as they are on a ratchet type piston set up , Rovers and some Fords mainly use that system . I normally use a G clamp and slowly tighten it so it pushes piston back in . I used to work at a place that had a massive set of water pump pliers which did the same .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
      I normally use a G clamp and slowly tighten it so it pushes piston back in . I used to work at a place that had a massive set of water pump pliers which did the same .

Rick
      ditto.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

citroens need to be wound in as pressure is applied, not had to do the big ones yet but im pretty sure the are ordinary systems albeit a little larger than normal after all we are talking 10yr old tecno.....
        if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

BTW, force them in/wind them in, theres no difference, you still pushing the pistons back in the calipers. The tool he's pimping is just a fancy g-clamp.

Comment

yeh youre right hes just a freakin pimp so

BTW Tony the Maurice lad and meself are contriving to get you your bits at least into safe keeping over here, then the Robbiecar fella who we dont see round here too often has been making good sounds bout how we could ship them for free to Liverpool or even further south

Comment

BTW Tony the Maurice lad and meself are contriving to get you your bits at least into safe keeping over here, then the Robbiecar fella who we dont see round here too often has been making good sounds bout how we could ship them for free to Liverpool or even further south
              Bitchin'

Comment

A big screwdiver does me.
                [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

.....coz you'll upset the seal in the master cylinder by forcing fluid back the other way'....
                  This is a problem that affected a number of early/mid 90's Opels/Vauxhalls. I have never heard it affecting any other makes, certainly as all the above has confirmed the Surf is fine in this regard. On affected opels however its bye bye master cylinder, zero brakes left if this happens, and even then his solution is wrong, you must disconnect the brake line and allow the fluid to spill from the caliper/cylinder when pushing the piston back, pain in the ar*e as you have to bleed the brakes most times you work on/near 'em
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                  X