X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Very BiG Thanks To ALL...

Hello..
    First post here....

Just about to buy my first surf when i found this site....

Read loads... seen the problems with the 2.4 head etc....
    nearly talked myself out of buying...
    but decided... all cars have problems... so i rather get a car i was happy with
    even though im not mechanically minded in anyway...

due to get a 2.4 ssrg (92) on saturday...
    But...

Now to my point....

Seen a post about bimta... thought id check it out....
    then eh? whats £14... sent the details...

Got the results back today....
    its been clocked by 60k....

i think the car has done about 110,000 miles

is it worth it? what are the cars like with hi mileage?
    should i deal and reduce the price or walk away? dunno...
    It felt great when i tested it... but what do i know...

Help.....

Thanks again to anybody thats posted, all this info has been invaluable...
    (even though i nearly talked myself out of it)

CHEERS

Assumig you were actually happy about the situation, I would guess a hefty price drop maybe in order !

Plus some checking if the biggie services were done etc ? - I'm not very technical but cambelt's a word that springs to mind.

Comment

Present bimta to seller, negotiate substantial cash discount, if its not offered, walk away. There is many a good surf out there.
      Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by lagmonkey
        Hello..
        First post here....

But...

Now to my point....

Help.....

CHEERS

Is that 110,000 miles or kilometers, either way I would report the dealer to the trading standards, also name them on here so that other members don't get caught by them, and look at the list of BIMTA registered dealers for another one.

It's amazing the people that buy a vehicle of that age a believe that they have such low mileage, and as you say what's £14 when your paying 5 grand for a motor, that's why I would always recommend a BIMTA check.

Comment

Originally posted by lagmonkey
          Hello..
          First post here....

But...

Now to my point....

Help.....

CHEERS
          Hi, And welcome to the mad mad world of surfdom.

Have you paid for it yet????????
          Is it covered by a good warranty??(make sure it covers the head not just the gasket)
          Do you still want it knowing its been clocked?? (the next one you see could be as well)

I would talk to the dealer and either get a very good price on it or walk away and inform trading standards.

Saying that I have had mine for a year now and think it was clocked (not done a check on it) But they are great cars and should be good for 200,000 miles+ if looked after.
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

I wouldn't negotiate a discount with this dealer just walk away, if hes clocked it he has or will probably lie thats it had a major service, cam belts been done. Should anything go wrong do you really think he'll happily carry the work or fob you off. Name him on here and as Andy says check BIMTA for registered dealers. Take a look at the for sales on here, theres a few good motors for sale.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

High Mileage not a problem if looked after and all relevant services have been done.

Dealer involved in clocking cars is a big problem. If he's clocking them pre-sale, what are his suppliers like? Stolen cars? How likely is he to look after you if anything goes wrong?

Morally Superior Option: Report dealer to BIMTA/Trading Standards Authority and post his name on every Jap Import forum you can find. Then continue your search for a good one at a good price from a good dealer. You'll pay more, but probably end up with a better car and you'll enjoy good karma.

Morally Inferior Option: Show BIMTA report to dealer. Be cool & calm, but confident that you have him over a barrell. He may claim he didn't know about/wasn't involved with clocking the car, but he knows he'll have a hard job proving that to the authorities, and he knows that you know that, too. So if you like the car and get a lot (10 - 20%) knocked off the car, AND a long warranty that includes the head, AND a long cheap service deal, then go for it. But be prepared for the negative karmaic reverberations.

Personally, I'd choose option 1. Man.

I love my Surf. It's heavy on deisel, and it needs some stuff done, but I love it.

Good Luck
              :

Comment

Cheers for your comments....

I like the good Karma thing....... BUT

I really dont think the guy knew....

Reason i say this is....

New company...ish

never heard of BIMTA...

they sold the car to someone else... then took it back part exchange...

i pointed out about the things i was not happy with... and he has replaced the parts with new (rear window motor etc)

3 month warranty (will replace head )

has kept me informed of all updates regarding parts... and offered help with regards to insurance... as i wasnt sure at first about Jap import...

I phoned him regarding the mileage.... he is now speaking to his comp director
                and i wait to see what happens...

And for some reason.... they have sent the docs with my name on to the DVLA??? I only paid a small holding deposit via cheque form.... eh?

have I Been outsmarted somehow?

They are now going to register with BIMTA... they should have read here first aswell.....

Comment

Trading standards....

"Mileage

If you are buying from a dealer, look to see if there is a disclaimer saying the mileage is not guaranteed and so cannot be relied on. It should be "bold, precise and compelling". If there is no disclaimer, the trader is saying that the mileage is correct and you can rely on it. It then becomes part of the contract and of the description of the vehicle. It can be difficult to prove a car has been 'clocked', so the golden rule is to walk away if you are not satisfied with what you are told. Checks on cars can be made via companies such as HPI and the AA, for a fee"

Doesnt seem like they could do alot?

Comment

Dont you have to sign the new logbook to transfer it to your name???? I would be a little concerned about the fact that they have sold it once and it came back!! what was wrong with it????? It sounds to me like the dealer is trying to herd you into a quick purchase, personally i would walk away and look elsewhere but then i am not overkeen on dealers anyway, much prefer a private purchase.
                    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
                    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X