Rubbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbers

Have any of you chaps had a problem with your rubbers?. No, I dont mean the ones you put on your pecker, I mean the rear window rubber seal on the outside of the rear door. Ive put a new one on and when I raise and lower the window the seal either gets pushed down into the door or pulled out when the window is raised, especially on the ends. Its fine when the windows wet, I suppose the water lubricates the seal a bit, but when its dry the window doesn`t seem to run smoothly through the seal. Is this a common problem, which might explain why the seal was missing in the first place, or is there a little secret to stop this happening that you could share with me?.

Regards
    Tich

vaseline

try rubbing a little vaseline round the inside of the rubber to lubricate it or even olive oil.

steve
    Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

Originally posted by tich
      Have any of you chaps had a problem with your rubbers?. No, I dont mean the ones you put on your pecker, I mean the rear window rubber seal on the outside of the rear door. Ive put a new one on and when I raise and lower the window the seal either gets pushed down into the door or pulled out when the window is raised, especially on the ends. Its fine when the windows wet, I suppose the water lubricates the seal a bit, but when its dry the window doesn`t seem to run smoothly through the seal. Is this a common problem, which might explain why the seal was missing in the first place, or is there a little secret to stop this happening that you could share with me?.

Regards
      Tich

This seal has a metal strip through it and attaches with small clips.Maybe the clips are not mounted correctly.I have a new seal but have not installed yet.The metal strip in the old one is slightly bent but otherwise still works ok.

Neville

Comment

rubbers

Thanks Fella`s

Had thought about lubricating it somehow but am worried that would make the glass all smeary.
        When I picked it up form Toyota it had been knocked about a bit in transit but straightened it out the best I could and I put the new clips on the same way as the old ones came off. Perhaps I`ll take it off and make sure it is completely staight. Probably easyier said than done cause, as with anything that gets bent, its practically impossible to get it perfect.
        Thanks again anyway

Tich

Comment

give the glass a polish with car wax, keep it regularly polished, you may have to give the rubber a wax on wax off too.
          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

rear window trim

been meaning to get a new seal for my first gen anyone got any prices or part numbers for said item as my local toyota dealership are useless

Comment

I had this same problem on the near side. The window had caused the rubber to fold back on itself for about 3" It took a while to fold back out and get it to stay out!. I rubbed french chalk on it and now it appears to be behaving itself.
              Ian
              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

rubbers

The french chalk works a treat. What a star you are Ian. Just hope it doesn`t rain.

Fenman
                Have tried to find the invoice for the seal, so that I can give you the part number, but have put it somewere safe and now can`t find it will let you know when I find it.
                If I may, when you order one make sure its the outside seal, cause the dickhead at toyota glos insisted that the outside seal was the same as the inside seal and initially ordered the wrong one

regards
                Tich

Comment

Originally posted by fenman666
                  been meaning to get a new seal for my first gen anyone got any prices or part numbers for said item as my local toyota dealership are useless
                  Part # for seal for my '92 is - 6829035012

First gen Surf may be same part.

Neville

Comment

Can you tell me where you got your seal from?

Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X