lack of power .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lack of power .

Hello knowledgable ones, we have a problem the third gen that I could really do with some help with please.

There seems to be a lack of power in the last few days, like its hesitating when pulling away or reversing.

I've checked the ATF and its full after the hose split the other week so its not that, but on a test drive it was loud, so I have replaced the centre and rear sections of the exhaust, but its still the same.

Nina went to use it today, and its worse, she said its making a lot of noise, but the revs don't seem to match the noise.

I'm thinking its the downpipe blowing?

Is this a reasonable diagnosis or is it something more sinister and complicated?

Thanks in advance.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Andy what engine do you have under the bonnet.?
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Kzn 3.0 Mark

Comment

Intercooled or non intercooled? check to make sure that the hoses between the turbo and the inlet manifold are still attached and have not split or blown off. same on the intercooler if fitted. Have a look around the exhaust manifold keep engine running and get it hot check to make sure the manifold has not cracked and that there are no exhaust gases blowing from around the turbo to manifold joint and down pipe.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers Mark, I'll have a snoop around in the morning and see what's going on.

Comment

had same problem on mine was egr valve clogged and manifold partly blocked
            took off clean and was ok after.

Comment

Is one of the air pipes split ?...... Also check the MAF sensor is ok via the engine codes
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Cheers everyone.

I've taken the intake off at the throttle body, and that and the EGR are pretty clean - gave it all a cursory spray of intake cleaner anyway.

The most obvious thing I can see is a lot of soot/soot residue across the area surrounding the exhaust manifold, which leads me to think it may be exhaust manifold gaskets?

I hope it's not the whole manifold as that looks like a pretty big job for me, but hopefully if it is the gaskets, that won't take me too long....

Can't see anything from the downpipe, all other connections seem to be solid, and I fitted a new silicone hose from the air box to the intake yesterday so that's not the issue.

Photos....

Last edited by MudSurfer; 11 December 2014, 13:18.

Comment

Just pulled the codes off too - three flashes, followed by two flashes - I assume this is code 32 - air flow meter circuit/ecu?

Can the meter be cleaned using contact cleaner or similar?

The O/D light is flashing, but that may be an old error having dumped all the ATF when the pipe split.

I'll do an ECU reset now and check again in an hour.

Comment

OK, ECU reset done (batteries disconnected for 2 hrs at least) and all I get is both Engine and O/D lights flashing constantly.

Took it out for a test, it's still hesitating a little, but flies along and not that loud, but when I got back home it smelled like clutch burn (it's an auto) but wasn't sure if that was down to it being cold and me hammering it up and down our road for 2 mins..

Looking for info on CEL flashing continuously with O/D light doing the same with TE1 and E1 shorted.

Comment

unless your engine is petrol, i don't think they used a MAF sensor on the earlier 1kzte engines. deffo on the d4ds.
                      Last edited by surfenstein; 11 December 2014, 19:35.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

'It's an oil burner, 1996/N 3.0 TD Auto.

There is a sensor on the pipe from the air box, which I assume is a basic air mass sensor, but it's nothing like the ones in the Audi, or the L/RPuma TDCI I had in the workshop last week.

Still can't quite see what's causing this, it does Rev just fine when stationary, just under initial load in either D or R seems hesitant, and kick down is a little slower too.

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                          'It's an oil burner, 1996/N 3.0 TD Auto.

There is a sensor on the pipe from the air box, which I assume is a basic air mass sensor, but it's nothing like the ones in the Audi, or the L/RPuma TDCI I had in the workshop last week.

Still can't quite see what's causing this, it does Rev just fine when stationary, just under initial load in either D or R seems hesitant, and kick down is a little slower too.
                          That'll be an intake air temp sensor. This won't give the symptoms you have. How much fluid did you loose when the pipe burst and how long did you drive it for when it had burst, could be that the clutch plates have burnt or some debris had got stuck in ATF filter might be worth removing the g/box sump and cleaning the gauze filter.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Ah, OK.

Most of it - but she only carried on for about 200 yards as there was no response from the gearbox, so she pulled over and stopped.

I'll stick it back on the ramp tomorrow and check the sump and clean up - I'm going to need some containers for the ATF....hmmmmmm

Comment

Ok, Nina has just come back. When she went out, it was cold and took ages to get moving, really hesitant and loud. When it had warmed up it was much better, only a little slow to respond but still making more noise than usual.

The ATF loss was in July, so I don't think it's likely that is the issue as I doubt it would take this long to present.

It seems to me that it could be a crack in the manifold, or a duff gasket, as it decreases when the engine and gases heat up and the gap seals.

I'll take it apart tomorrow and gave a good look when it's cold and see what I can see. Probably explains the soot too.

Comment

Working...
                              X