Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's best to clean and re grease wiper motor

Hi folks,
    My darling wife's wiper motor has stopped working again, main dealer insisted a new one was required last time. I was told off by the Mrs for arguing that there was an obvious design fault in the drainage as the drainage holes block all the time and leave the wiper motor submerged in about 4 inches of water! So being ###### minded (read tight and skint)I've taken the replacement one off today and dismantled it which has revealed some corroded connections and a lot of gunk etc. What's best to clean and re grease?

Any help much appreciated.
    Attached Files

I used a spray can of Lithium grease on a BMW's wiper system, the whole system was difficult to get at and very expensive to replace.
    The entire rack was seizing up.
    A first the grease made little difference but over a period of weeks the wipers came back to full life again and thats was 4 years ago with no issues since.

Thou I should add I did not spray the grease into anything electrical (i.e into the motor), I believe it conducts electricity so having it around the windings and brushes of a motor may not be a good idea.
    Last edited by Vultch; 18 October 2014, 10:47.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

brush it out with diesel
      let it dry and degrease with
      a good grease
      if that don't work send her who must
      be obeyed down to barry island
      to get some chip fat
      or you could clean the holes out
      the old git

Comment

I'd use silicon spray, you can get from Halfrauds, but you may want to use some diluted gunk first to clean it all up, then silicon and maybe copper grease to finish.

You may want to get some instant gasket type stuff for when you put it all back together too, might make it less porous.
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, job underway.

Comment

While you have got the motor off, check the linkage between motor and wiper blades moves freely. Mine got so stiff that the motor struggled to move the wipers.
            Only way to sort it out is to remove the whole lot from the car and work spray oil/grease into the spindles from both top and bottom. Took me about 2 hours.
            Mark

Comment

Working...
            X