Suspension Components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Components

Can anyone point me to an article or something detailing what the various components of suspension systems are, and how they work/what they do.

EG: Panhard Rods, Sway Bars (& "disconnects"), Control Arms, Wishbones, Struts, Drop Links, and I'm sure there are more that I've missed...

I understand coil, leaf & torsion bar springs, dampers, bushes, the difference between a beam axle (is this also called a "live axle"?) and IFS, but I'd like to know more about the rest.

Mark
    :

Certainly can!

Loads of stuff on here

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...raseCrumbs=YES

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Great Site!

Hmmm...

Some questions...

What's on the front IFS if my gen2 Surf? I know it's got Torsion Bars & Dampers. Does it have A-Bars, or Upper & Lower Control Arms, or are they one and the same? Does it have a Sway Bar? Where do the Ball Joints fit in in all of this?

What's on the rear? I know that's got Coil Springs & Dampers. Does it have Control Arms & a Panhard Rod, or just a Panhard Rod? Does it have a Sway Bar? Are there any Ball Joints involved here?

If I wanted to completely overhaul the front & rear suspension (bit by bit, obviously), would the following be what I'd need...

New rear coil springs (I fancy ProComp +2" HD items - any comments?)
      New front torsion bars (Again, ProComp HDs are current favourite - and again, comments very welcome)
      New front dampers (ProComp ES3000s?)
      New rear damers (ProComp ES3000s?)
      Lower profile front bump stops
      Lower profile rear bump stops
      New bushes in the dampers, control arms, panhard rod and sway bars (I fancy Polybush Comfort grade, if they're available for my Surf - any comments?)

Would I also need new ball joints? If so, are these expensive?

All and any replies much appreciated.

Mark
      :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
        Great Site!

Hmmm...

Some questions...

What's on the front IFS if my gen2 Surf? I know it's got Torsion Bars & Dampers. Does it have A-Bars, or Upper & Lower Control Arms, or are they one and the same? Does it have a Sway Bar? Where do the Ball Joints fit in in all of this?

What's on the rear? I know that's got Coil Springs & Dampers. Does it have Control Arms & a Panhard Rod, or just a Panhard Rod? Does it have a Sway Bar? Are there any Ball Joints involved here?

If I wanted to completely overhaul the front & rear suspension (bit by bit, obviously), would the following be what I'd need...

New rear coil springs (I fancy ProComp +2" HD items - any comments?)
        New front torsion bars (Again, ProComp HDs are current favourite - and again, comments very welcome)
        New front dampers (ProComp ES3000s?)
        New rear damers (ProComp ES3000s?)
        Lower profile front bump stops
        Lower profile rear bump stops
        New bushes in the dampers, control arms, panhard rod and sway bars (I fancy Polybush Comfort grade, if they're available for my Surf - any comments?)

Would I also need new ball joints? If so, are these expensive?

All and any replies much appreciated.

Mark
        dunno about the front on a second gen but a 3rd has double wishbone on the front, the ball joints allow the suspension to go up and down while also being able to steer... i'd imagine the 2nd gen is the same but with torsion bars instead of coils?
        basically the wishbones hold the hub so that the wheel is always vertical but will move up and down for suspension.
        the IFS just means that the diff is fixed in place to the chassis and has 2 driveshafts which can move independantly of each other, unlike the rear which are joined together via a "beam" so as one whell goes up, the other will go down.

on thje rear (should be identical on 3rd - 2nd) it's a beam axle with a panhard rod (to stop side to side movement) and 2 track control / swing /trailling arms which stop any front - back movement... also (obviously) 2 shocks and 2 springs

shouldn't bother with the bump stop mod unless you're going for a bodylift otherwise the tyre will foul the bodywork, you can cut a bit off on the rear but the front are pretty small anyway and should be ok.

milners new bush kits are all poly bushes, i found them quite a bad fit (only did the anti-roll bar) but they'll last longer than rubber. (and they're orange!)

oh yeah, front and rear anti roll bar is just a type of torsion bar that stops so much body roll, it's bolted to the chassis and then to the wishbones (front) and axle(rear)... as the body leans over, it acts like a spring tightening and making it harder for the body to lean over....

hope that makes sense... bamboozled me!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

You sure about the bumpstops, mine has them and they haven't rubbed.......

Anyway, need to go and lie down after all this technical info................
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
            You sure about the bumpstops, mine has them and they haven't rubbed.......

Anyway, need to go and lie down after all this technical info................
            dunno... made it up!
            but at standard height my wheel would go way up inside the wheelarch... especially if you wanna fit bigger tyres later on.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              dunno about the front on a second gen but a 3rd has double wishbone on the front, the ball joints allow the suspension to go up and down while also being able to steer... i'd imagine the 2nd gen is the same but with torsion bars instead of coils?
              basically the wishbones hold the hub so that the wheel is always vertical but will move up and down for suspension.
              the IFS just means that the diff is fixed in place to the chassis and has 2 driveshafts which can move independantly of each other, unlike the rear which are joined together via a "beam" so as one whell goes up, the other will go down.

on thje rear (should be identical on 3rd - 2nd) it's a beam axle with a panhard rod (to stop side to side movement) and 2 track control / swing /trailling arms which stop any front - back movement... also (obviously) 2 shocks and 2 springs

shouldn't bother with the bump stop mod unless you're going for a bodylift otherwise the tyre will foul the bodywork, you can cut a bit off on the rear but the front are pretty small anyway and should be ok.

milners new bush kits are all poly bushes, i found them quite a bad fit (only did the anti-roll bar) but they'll last longer than rubber. (and they're orange!)

oh yeah, front and rear anti roll bar is just a type of torsion bar that stops so much body roll, it's bolted to the chassis and then to the wishbones (front) and axle(rear)... as the body leans over, it acts like a spring tightening and making it harder for the body to lean over....

hope that makes sense... bamboozled me!
              Matt you are correct, 2nd gen has double wishbone and torsion bar on the front, rear is live axle, 2 trailing arms and panhard rod for side - side location.

Anti roll bar / sway bar is fitted on the front and rear.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                Matt you are correct, 2nd gen has double wishbone and torsion bar on the front, rear is live axle, 2 trailing arms and panhard rod for side - side location.

Anti roll bar / sway bar is fitted on the front and rear.

Cheers
                cool! and it all came from upstairs in me noggin!... i do apologise for calling you a big fat liar!... hehehe!!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                  cool! and it all came from upstairs in me noggin!... i do apologise for calling you a big fat liar!... hehehe!!
                  That's OK been called much worse in my time.

Comment

Working...
                  X