yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A weekend without incident! But still issues please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A weekend without incident! But still issues please help!!

Another great weekend laning and playing in my mates private off road playground!! I hope he doesn't decide to build the next phase of houses anytime soon!!!

A mate has purchased a disco to partake in the fun now to! Don't tar and feather me but it's a pretty good off roader in it's standard, A/T tyre, setup it did everything the surf did bar getting stuck in thick mud due to the toebar, I mean toeplough! and the low front bumper and low ground clearance!

Anyway I didn't break anything this time!!

Although I apparently still have wobbley wheels when climbing steep slopes! It's not the steering idler as this was just replaced with a Roughtrax item! It's not the balljoints as these were replaced the first time I broke it! The front Shocks were replaced at the same time.

Pitman arm?? Tie rods?? Suggestions!!

I also still think I can feel a knock/ thud in the drivers wheel when driving over uneven ground? It'll rear it's head soon enough! I'm joining the "Don't worry till it's broken club" Quickly!

A couple of pics

Last edited by robjames; 15 September 2014, 10:51.

A couple more...............

Muddy enough??

Comment

And a little vid as my generation can't do anything without videoing it!!

Same as has been done before the steep decent!!!

http://youtu.be/TqkEYc3033o

Comment

Looking good. Seems quite capable. I'm liking the big tires. How are you getting on with the gearing? Are you running 4.1:1 diffs?

Comment

Originally posted by spanner_monkey View Post
          Looking good. Seems quite capable. I'm liking the big tires. How are you getting on with the gearing? Are you running 4.1:1 diffs?
          Yeah she's a 4.1 It's ok intial pull of is ok to around 30mph then it's a bit of a slouch! But it doesn't bother me really only time is the very odd time I hop onto a duel carrigeway and want to get up a bit of pace. But that's it I'm happy enough plodding along.

It's 2+ tn of offroader jacked up 4", with no anti roll bars! and expensive 35' mud tyres!! I don't want to be tearing around anyway

Comment

I know what you mean. Mine rolls around like a boat with a 3" lift and 31"s.

Comment

Looking great with the steelwork on mate, glad your still playing in the mud.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I'm on my last diff when this one goes I'll be stumped till a new one arrives!

Think I'll order up pitman, track rod end, steering dampner and then thats the front overhauled bar the wishbones!!

I need lockers or an uprated diff solution!!!!!!

Comment

I drove mine hard offroad and only had a diff mishap when towing in mud. I don't want to sound harsh but could it be your driving style perhaps causing your misery, slow and steady is usually the best way, gunning the truck spins those big wheels and when they spin+bounce it's normally very hard on driveline components.
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                    I drove mine hard offroad and only had a diff mishap when towing in mud. I don't want to sound harsh but could it be your driving style perhaps causing your misery, slow and steady is usually the best way, gunning the truck spins those big wheels and when they spin+bounce it's normally very hard on driveline components.

Yup, the front diff is the weakest link in the drive train. Huge tyres will just break it sooner. Next to go will be the C/V joints.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                      You could well be right......

As an example I'll attempt a steep incline, not unlike the previous destruction video, slow and steady and I'll stop dead half way.

So I'll back up and try a little bit more, then the front passenger wheel noramlly will start to spin and then the bounce comes. It's also flapping!!

Now I know it isn't the idler as that is a new roughtrax item, so what could it be??

Also how would approach an incline where the weight of the truck causes it to loose traction and start to spin/ bounce????

I'll welcome any suggestions I'm a novice after all.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Yup, the front diff is the weakest link in the drive train. Huge tyres will just break it sooner. Next to go will be the C/V joints.
                        I'd rather break CV's than diffs being totally bullishly honest! they're cheaper and a lot less work!!!!

Comment

Have you looked into the Toyota Supra 8" front diff swap?

EDIT: Here 'tis....
                          http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19571
                          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 16 September 2014, 13:13.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            Have you looked into the Toyota Supra 8" front diff swap?

EDIT: Here 'tis....
                            http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19571
                            I have indeed

It looks a great idea I just need to find somewhere to fab the driveshafts so I can retain stock inner CV, hubs/ breaks etc.

Comment

Ive seen us reverse up hills when it gets really tricky.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X