New digital vehicle tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New digital vehicle tax

As in a little under six weeks time the paper tax disc becomes motoring history, what are your thoughts?

I see a few big brother stories starting to do the rounds mentioning the almost virus like spread of roadside ANPR cameras and the alleged backdoor access to cameras on private land (petrol stations/car parks) being used to monitor and report on untaxed vehicles.

Opinions?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Good, you'll find those avoiding the tax are the same dickheads avoiding insurance and MOT's.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I think it's pretty much all good except that you wont be able to sell a vehicle with tax on it.

this means if you happen to be buying a second hand car and go to see several on a weekend when you decide to buy one you can't legally drive it straight home.

now obviously the system will take some time to catch up with change of ownership so the car would show as taxed to ANPR cameras, but if you happened to crash it things might get more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by popuptoaster View Post
        I think it's pretty much all good except that you wont be able to sell a vehicle with tax on it.

this means if you happen to be buying a second hand car and go to see several on a weekend when you decide to buy one you can't legally drive it straight home.
        Are you sure about this?
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Comment

It does open the door to racheting up the cost per month and to charge by mileage...

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
              It does open the door to racheting up the cost per month and to charge by mileage...
              I did think that too, but, it's only going to cost an extra 5% for yearly D/D.

Having to tax three vehicles at £££ a lot each a year I'm quite looking forward to a monthly payment.

No doubt the idea of pay to play has been considered and has its merits I would think that the adoption of the technology to track and bill the user is too problematic and costly at the moment, perhaps this may change when the euro gps is fully developed.

The enforcement aspect will be interesting I expect to see many more anpr equipped vehicles on our roads soon.
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                I did think that too, but, it's only going to cost an extra 5% for yearly D/D.

Having to tax three vehicles at £££ a lot each a year I'm quite looking forward to a monthly payment.

No doubt the idea of pay to play has been considered and has its merits I would think that the adoption of the technology to track and bill the user is too problematic and costly at the moment, perhaps this may change when the euro gps is fully developed.

The enforcement aspect will be interesting I expect to see many more anpr equipped vehicles on our roads soon.
                They tried to implement pay and play a few years ago, so definately on the map...The tech to track is already here, insurers use it already (as do your company I think I recal?), give it a few years and enough vehicles will have it pushed on them by the insurers and away we go.

Yeah I agree the big dollop of cash is a pain, that aspect will be good for me too (doubly so as I'm looking for an SJ to go with the Surf).

Comment

Yep tracker tech is very much here

SJ ?
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Yep tracker tech is very much here

SJ ?
                    George Orwell didn't push his book far enough...

Little Suzuki SJ413 or similar...

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                      George Orwell didn't push his book far enough...

Little Suzuki SJ413 or similar...
                      Similar

www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55519
                      Brian

Comment

Making the tax disc obsolete, ain't such a big deal. As previously said, it'll sort out the car tax dodgers. Not so keen on the remaining tax being automatically refunded when you sell a taxed vehicle and having to tax any vehicle bought before driving off.

Haven't needed to take anything other than the tax reminder to get my tax for a while now, so if all details are on the midi ( central database for vehicle info ), MOT's and insurance certificates could follow as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                          Making the tax disc obsolete, ain't such a big deal. As previously said, it'll sort out the car tax dodgers. Not so keen on the remaining tax being automatically refunded when you sell a taxed vehicle and having to tax any vehicle bought before driving off.

Haven't needed to take anything other than the tax reminder to get my tax for a while now, so if all details are on the midi ( central database for vehicle info ), MOT's and insurance certificates could follow as well.
                          I thought that the database already had that info hence why you only needed th reminder ?

The more I think about it the more I like the idea, however the ability to visually check to see if a motor has tax will now disappear, but we still can go to the dvla website to see if the vehicle is taxed.

I wonder if a zero tolerance approach with regards to no tax no car will be enforced
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                            Thats the wee truck that broke my diff trying to drag it on a trailer out of the 'carpark' at Drumclog.
                            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I thought that the database already had that info hence why you only needed th reminder ?
                              What I meant was that we probably won't even need an MOT or insurance certificate soon, due to everything being on the midi

Comment

Working...
                              X