Crash Bang Wallop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash Bang Wallop!

Hi all, excuse the expression but I'm wondering how good Surfs are at crashing? Anyone had any experience and how did it/you come off?
    These things dont come with airbags do they?
    Cheers and SAFE DRIVING!
    Tim
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

As long as what you hit is smaller than you, you'll be ok!!
    Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

Comment

Whilst doing some research on the Surf, I came across an American crash test site which rated the US version as good to excellent (search on google).

However lets be honest, crashes are best avoided (I know sometimes their not). Its the time taken to heal your injuries and get the car fixed that really hurts. Then its never the same, you know that some panels dont fit quite right, and what about the chassis is that creased.

Don't think about it, just enjoy the Surf, and let the boy racers do all the crashes.

Comment

Let's not kid ourselves here. If you've got an earlier Surf (mines a mk2), then they simply won't be up to modern safety standards. I recently saw on Top Gear the Freelander which has a higher safety rating than mine not looking too great after a shunt. However, a general rule of thumb - the bigger the better.

Best avoid in the first place though?
        Everything's easy, when you know how!

Comment

In the US test the driver comes off worse, so sit somewhere else
          Rick

Comment

Why buy a car if your worried crashing it?

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it. Don't be dragged down by all this star rating crap, its just to sell cars, the worst encap star rating is better than then most cars of 10 years ago, and we're all still alive today.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Why buy a car if your worried crashing it?

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it. Don't be dragged down by all this star rating crap, its just to sell cars, the worst encap star rating is better than then most cars of 10 years ago, and we're all still alive today.

Not worried if I crash it, its other people who will regret it if they dont stop in time... towbar works wonders usually
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

is it on the front then?

Comment

If its any consolation m8, my missus and toddler walked away from this with only some burns from the air bags. The vehicle went across a dual carriageway, over a high kerb, through a fence and straight into a tree.

Both air bags deployed, all windows automatically lowered (apparently this is a safety precaution built into surfs for access by emergency services in case of an accident)

The police reversed the vehicle out on three wheels and drove it 200yds down the road for the tow truck.

Bloke at the repair shop (it was written off), said if it had been a car it would have been a different matter. Chassis and suspension was bent, but no damage to the passenger/driver area whatsoever.

This was about 25-30 mph

Apologies to ppl who have seen these pics many...many.. times

Enough to say, I bought another one
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Fieldsy; 15 September 2004, 07:19.

Comment

Re Crashes!!!!!!

Five years ago , i had a Renault Laguna estate, plough into my n/s at around 40mph. I Had damage to all panels on the near side,and a bent "b" pillar and side step was a friend with the propshaft. However as you are higher of the ground, the Renault slid underneath and my 4Runner was sitting on top of it.

My wife and i were shaken , but not stirred! The Renault was broken in half and a complete right off,but happerly the driver O.K. Police and tow truck came to remove Renault. 4Runner started up and we drove away as if nothing had happened. I am convinced to this day that if we had been in my wifes Peugot 106, she would had been" brown bread"and myself with serious injuries. As you know most cars are built with these monococquithingy chassis now and are designed to fold up, but i'd rather have something with a bit os steel it it.

As for repairs £8500.00 went to a Toyota dealer came back as good as new and no problems to date.......Regards to all Banana.
                    Last edited by BANANA; 15 September 2004, 08:10.

Comment

Originally posted by phorbiuz
                      Let's not kid ourselves here. If you've got an earlier Surf (mines a mk2), then they simply won't be up to modern safety standards. I recently saw on Top Gear the Freelander which has a higher safety rating than mine not looking too great after a shunt. However, a general rule of thumb - the bigger the better.

Best avoid in the first place though?
                      modern cars always look worse cos they're designed to absorb the impact... so everything gets fubar'd except the passenger compartment.
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I just watched an article on 5th Gear that showed how SUVs roll compared to cars. They tested a Jag avoiding a suddenly braking car at 45mph and an early 90s Range Rover.

The Jag just lost control and did a 360, the Range Rover swerved, corrected then rolled... very scary stuff !!

Wonder how the Surf would fare in the same test?

Food for thought, perhaps our best defence is defensive driving.

Comment

Originally posted by tim360
                          I just watched an article on 5th Gear that showed how SUVs roll compared to cars. They tested a Jag avoiding a suddenly braking car at 45mph and an early 90s Range Rover.

The Jag just lost control and did a 360, the Range Rover swerved, corrected then rolled... very scary stuff !!

Because SUVs have a higher centre of gravity they will always be more liable to roll in an accident. However the Surf has a much lower COG than the Rangerover so should come off better.

Also the suspension on an early 90s rangerover was a joke. The body roll round bends was horrendous. Same on the Disco. Both were much improved with the active suspension on the later models (98 onwards I think).

Still as you say, defensive driving is always the best defense.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tim360

Its a 4x4, it's gonna roll if you wave it from side to side, especially a RR with really soft, flexable suspension.

It's no mystery, why do you thing most new 4x4's are crap offroad? cos they are built to be like a road car.

Personally, any car that rolls that easily, is gonna be a good offroad car. Which is why I have a 4x4.

The Rangy should'nt have tried to correct, just let it donut and come to a halt.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                            X