Rear wheel arch replacement panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel arch replacement panel

I posted this originally in the "Technical" section but on reflection I probably should have posted it here...mods feel free to delete the original post

Yesterday I thought I would tackle a spot of what I thought was surface rust next to the plastic wheel arch extension on my 4Runner. I took the extension off to find most of the metal underneath had rusted away. It was not a total surprise to me as I've seen other 4Runners with this problem...but I was upset nonetheless!

How have people tackled this problem? Is a weld on panel available?

someone posted this recently
    http://toyotafiberglass.com/4runner_11.html
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Any decent panel shop will be able to build an arch back up so you can attach the extension.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
        someone posted this recently
        http://toyotafiberglass.com/4runner_11.html
        Yes, I saw that...wish I could take the car over there to Canada and get it sorted and no more wheel arch rust problems! :-)

I was hoping to weld on the arches myself, so I know it's been done thoroughly and the rust problem will then be under control. I can bash some bits of metal if need be and weld them on, but it's a time issue versus the peace of mind, knowing the job's been done properly.

How much do you think it is reasonable to pay for a body shop to make some arches up and weld them on? It doesn't have to be a completely perfect showroon job, but also not something that will just get the car through the MOT and then rust worse than before a few months later. Often when people weld bits on, they don't clean and protect the weld properly, particulary on the inside, where it's difficult to reach and apply rust prevention.

Comment

Just cut an arch out from a rust free breaker - it will be decent thick metal not cheap aftermarket rubbish.

Comment

Working...
          X