Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen rattly Spare wheel carrier

Hi Folks,

I know a few of you have had the same issues with these and mentioned it on the forum..

I dropped mine off at the engineering shop today to have a look at...

I was thinking, the guy there is pretty approachable, I thought it might be an idea if he is doing mine to look at how feasible it is to knock up a "spare wheel carrier "pin kit" so all people have to do is knock/cut out the old pins, and fit a kit.

Would it be anything that people would be interested in?

Mines being done anyway as a one off job.. but I figured I'd ask, if people think it'll be helpful.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Hi,
    I would be interested if it was a straightforward job to fit the new pins. The rattle from our spare wheel is pretty bad on the lanes around here.
    Mark

Comment

Yes yes yes! Mine is driving me mad and I would love to get mine sorted!

Comment

Well a slight update,

TRue to my usual luck, the engineering shop said they have given up on mien after 2h labour.. it sounds like they might have damaged / ground bits of the wheel carrier too, so I'm not sure what I'll get when I collect on Monday

So I'll look into a DIY fix, and if I get am pieced machined up, to make it look neat, I'll see how much they want to make those bits as a "kit"...

So in the mean time...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...810#post819810
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

This might be a silly idea but what if the lock was packed with thick grease - would that do anything to quieten it down? Thought it might be worth seeing if anyone had tried it before I made a mess!

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
            Well a slight update,

TRue to my usual luck, the engineering shop said they have given up on mien after 2h labour.. it sounds like they might have damaged / ground bits of the wheel carrier too, so I'm not sure what I'll get when I collect on Monday

So I'll look into a DIY fix, and if I get am pieced machined up, to make it look neat, I'll see how much they want to make those bits as a "kit"...

So in the mean time...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...810#post819810
            i've been a CNC lathe turner for 20 years,now.if its just a bit of turning you need, i might be able to help,time would depend on machine availability, but if you can draw what you want,and i have the time, happy to have a look for you.

Comment

Hi Scott-Lee,

Sorry just saw this!

Thanks for your offer I've managed to totally De-rattle mine...

I managed to remove the old pins in under half an hour with zero damage... and replaced them with long shanked machine bolts..

I'll write up how I did it when I have a mo!
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

no problem, glad you got it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                X