Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Susupension

Hello all.
    Has anyone put a surf on air suspension on here before?
    Many Thanks in advance
    If it's not broken, you're not going hard enough!

Mine is, honestly I wouldn't bother it's a pain in the arse.

I'm on my 3rd set of air bags !!

Comment

What air bags are you using? I'd expect at least three years from an airbag.

Comment

Regardless of vehicle make and model I have never heard of anyone saying... ah my airbag system trouble free..

As Im looking for a second hand SUV wagon I giving anything with a air suspension system a wide berth, it usually ends up being quite expensive when it fails.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

I got mates who use bags on custom cars, i had hydraulics on one of mine but most people moved over to air as its cheaper.

A good set up should be trouble free for years, lots of standard stuff comes with bags on it.

I think people skimp on the maintenance or don't fit them right quite often, commercial vehicles have been using air bags for years and they often do hundreds of thousands of miles.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzle88 View Post
            What air bags are you using? I'd expect at least three years from an airbag.

These

Comment

Originally posted by Balllsy View Post
              With these you still have your original suspension dont you? The suspension system im fitting shall be airbag only and no coil springs.
              Im a HGV mechanic so work with air suspension all day long, im looking at lift axle bags from a 44tonne mercedes and these usually do 800,000 miles over 4 years no problem on a lorry.

Comment

Yes that's right they fit inside the rear springs.

Don't forget to take plenty of pictures during your modification !

Comment

Originally posted by popuptoaster View Post
                  I got mates who use bags on custom cars, i had hydraulics on one of mine but most people moved over to air as its cheaper.

A good set up should be trouble free for years, lots of standard stuff comes with bags on it.

I think people skimp on the maintenance or don't fit them right quite often, commercial vehicles have been using air bags for years and they often do hundreds of thousands of miles.
                  Originally posted by wurzle88 View Post
                  With these you still have your original suspension dont you? The suspension system im fitting shall be airbag only and no coil springs.
                  Im a HGV mechanic so work with air suspension all day long, im looking at lift axle bags from a 44tonne mercedes and these usually do 800,000 miles over 4 years no problem on a lorry.
                  Why do these bags last such a short time?
                  Like popup and wurzle have said are they are fitted to vehicles that are put under a large range of stress and don't fail.
                  So are they just spring assist ones that get pinched by the springs and eventually wear through, being made of inferior materials?

I can't access the posted links on this device.
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I have seen bags wear through from contact with parts of the cars if they are not fitted properly, and pumps fail if you run them a lot as some of the guys do for showing off.

I'd be interested to know too though, i had thought about air on the bac for mine (and some kind of powered torsion bar adjuster on the front) but i gave up on the idea when i realised i wouldn't be able to run it low with the large tyres I'm planning on fitting.

Comment

I think that if you were to use proper air bags then you would have a more acceptable service life, I have had a look at the link now and I think they are perfectly fine for what is asked for them.
                      They do come with a lifetime warranty though, so I suppose it is what the supplier deems to be a life time?

I have no idea of the cost of a set of air bags to replace the OEM springs would be, probably more information and availability stateside.

I would love to see this done on a Surf, especially with regards to the advantages of being able to raise the ride height, at least with the rear axle.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Good luck with it, another poster made a fair comment about them being used for ages on lorries.
                        I keep reading about failures but perhaps these the small minority.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

I have plenty of photos but it is a very slow process, (3 years so far) i used to be on this forum but cant remember my old login name or the old email i used with it so had to get a new one
                          I have a pair of Y60 axles for the vehicle but i want to set it up on air suspension rather than springs as i beleive i can control the travel better as well as the height.
                          I now have the compressor on its way from america, i have all the control valves and the air tank but i am undecided between two air bags.
                          I shall do a build thread once completed.
                          I got alot of the parts i needed of this site, i think it was "Stormforce" or something similar as his name.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                            Why do these bags last such a short time?
                            Like popup and wurzle have said are they are fitted to vehicles that are put under a large range of stress and don't fail.
                            So are they just spring assist ones that get pinched by the springs and eventually wear through, being made of inferior materials?

I can't access the posted links on this device.
                            The bags in the link are made from a kind of pliable plastic so no wonder they don't last very long.
                            Airbags used on lorried are rubber.

Comment

1st set I think were already split when I had the truck, 2nd set split at the valve possibly because they had lost pressure, I can't say for certain.

Pair number 3 about to be fitted so will let you know how they fair.

All 3 sets are from same manufacturer and they all had lifetime warranty, however this is the 1st set that I have bought so I have the warranty and know they are new when fitted.

Comment

Working...
                              X