Expert opinions on this surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expert opinions on this surf?

I'm considering a Surf as a utility vehicle around my property. It's not large, about 25 acres, but I need something to haul firewood and so on. A quad is one option but good ones aren't cheap and it would nice to have a vehicle that I could use on the roads locally. Land Rovers are expensive (for a sorted one anyway) and I like Toyota reliability.

I saw this on Ebay and was intrigued. Looks if anything a bit too cheap? What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=261524805487

It looks fine but I think it's slightly overpriced! If you are not in a hurry there's decent and cheaper surfs out there for what you want it for. There are forum members who have picked up 3rd gens for less. Good luck

Comment

Looks ok to me.
      Make sure you check the cooling system properly though. Any rust or silvery particles = poor servicing and / or a shot cylinder head, avoid.
      Check the 4x4 system works correctly ie in and out of drive.
      Good luck.

Comment

Looks good, go for it. price is fine if it's a decent enough truck.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by black sheep View Post
          it looks fine but i think it's slightly overpriced! If you are not in a hurry there's decent and cheaper surfs out there for what you want it for. There are forum members who have picked up 3rd gens for less. Good luck
          i agree with that
          the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Thank you everybody for the comments. I thought for 75k miles it was pretty cheap but I am in no hurry so may wait and watch over the summer.

Comment

get this one! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Hil...item3392082b9c

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                Impressive. Too nice, perhaps, for a utility vehicle? And wouldn't that V8 be a tad thirsty?

EDIT Looked through the build pics, very nice job. I doubt it will be within budget!
                Last edited by susukino; 14 July 2014, 09:16.

Comment

Originally posted by susukino View Post
                  Impressive. Too nice, perhaps, for a utility vehicle?And wouldn't that V8 be a tad thirsty?
                  its the price of driving with a big smile!

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                    its the price of driving with a big smile!
                    And I guess the sense of reassurance that comes from having an overhauled engine with very few miles behind it.

What I really want to avoid is buying something that turns into a project. I have that already with a 25-year old bike I'm rebuilding, but that's a single cylinder two-stroke so about as simple as it's possible to get! I don't have anything like the spannering skills to deal with major work on a Surf.

So, gents, if I may change my question slightly, what's the best way to find a good Surf? I would be prepared to pay a bit more for peace of mind.
                    Last edited by susukino; 14 July 2014, 23:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                      Looks ok to me.
                      Make sure you check the cooling system properly though. Any rust or silvery particles = poor servicing and / or a shot cylinder head, avoid.
                      I was thinking about this and wondering how you would check on the spot. The only thing I can think of is looking in the radiator?

Comment

Originally posted by susukino View Post
                        I was thinking about this and wondering how you would check on the spot. The only thing I can think of is looking in the radiator?
                        You could invest in a gas sniffer to check for any rad problems too prior to purchase.

Comment

You could buy one off a dealer and make sure the warranty is good will cost you extra though.

personally i'd look for a good one privately and bank the money an engine rebuild would cost, that way if you never need one you got the many sitting there still and if it does go you can pay to get it done quick.

Comment

A gas sniffer test kit from eBay is worth it at about £40, it will tell you if the head has cracked. Apart from that they are pretty tough.
                            Looking in the rad can tell you if the coolant has been replaced recently or not and you might see bits of 'liquid head fix' or similar stuff floating around.

Comment

Working...
                            X