temporary insurance cover and road tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temporary insurance cover and road tax

Well getting the truck back on the road has started well, as the with a fresh battery the truck fired into life tonight. The next phase is to pick up some wheels at the weekend. After that it's getting the truck serviced and cleaned up and in for an MOT
    In order to get a tax disc I'll need insurance, but I was thinking can I use a temporary insurance cover to get the tax disc?
    The truck won't be a daily drive and so I can't justify the cost if paying a years premium for something I'll use probably once a month. So was going to use temporary insurance as when needed.
    Anyone else do this?
    Hold my beer and watch this

No.

I assume the vehicle is under 24 hr surveilance/armed guard?
    Do you have any insurance cover for theft of the vehicle?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I have done for one of the LS400's, cheapest for me was roughly £35 from Aviva but may have better luck elsewhere.

1. If you try Aviva speak to their customer services dept, as at the time the sales dept had no idea they could do temp cover.

2. They charge a minimum weeks cover whether you just want the day or not.

This may have changed since last year though.

Comment

It's not been insured since 2010 sat on driveway and no stole it yet.

Comment

If it's taxed but not insured you'll get a fine. When you cancel the insurance, or let it lapse you have to declare it SORN.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
            If it's taxed but not insured you'll get a fine. When you cancel the insurance, or let it lapse you have to declare it SORN.
            It's been declared SORN since 2010, sorry forgot to add that.
            By the way how do you un-SORN?

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
              It's not been insured since 2010 sat on driveway and no stole it yet.
              Past performance is not a forecast.

If its going to cost 30/40 quid for a weeks insurance every time you want to drive you might better looking at a low mileage type of policy
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

To Unsorn, just apply for road fund licence in your usual way. Sorn is automatically cancelled!

Comment

I've bought temp insurance when I've driven vehicles home.

You can't tax the car on temp insurance, at least that's what my policy said.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

You can't leave it "taxed" without insurance... It'll cost you a months tax each time there is no insurance and you declare SORN.

Comment

Working...
                    X