Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info for new Surf user.

Guys,

1st post here. Just taken on the long term maintenance of a Surf 2.4 Auto for a friend who is clueless on mechanical stuff. I've over 25yrs experience on all sorts of vehicles so the nuts and bolts is no big deal....but the lack of easy info/parts for these might be!

They bought it from dealer at top price with absolutely no service history. So I have to start from scratch and do a major check through everything.

I've read the FAQ about manuals and have been lead to the http://www.car-handbooks.com/Surf.html website and was wondering about getting the Surf handbook and the Haynes.

Are these a normal Haynes that you can get in Halfords or special imports? How will I know which Haynes to get, the one with the red Surf or beige Surf?

One stupid little thing for a start. It needs wipers but I see they are held on by two screws. Never seen this before, is it included in the usual misc fittings with a normal wiper?

Grateful for any help...there's going to be loads more questions I'm afraid!!

David

lookin at your link it would be the beige one (diesel) - didnt know haynes did a manual - interesting as i was told at a car parts shop 2 weeks ago that haynes have taken over 'chilton' - american manuals i think had one for an imported prelude - thought the manual was !!!!e personally - covered far too many models - accord etc for about 12 years made even basic things hard to follow so been reluctant to get the chilton (sp?)manual for the surf myself.

as for the wipers - orig toyota ones have the screw bit, i got 'generic' ones with a replacement snap in bit that has the screws with it - BEWARE - if you but a replacement rear make sure the adaptor is 'handed' the other way to the front ones - i had to do a butcher job on the old wiper - plus the curve of the rear wiper frame is too steep so that when its finished wiping and wants to park it gets caught on the top rubber(window seal) rather than parking nicely.

sure someone else can give the definative manual choice - i hope so so I can order one as well!!!!

hope this helps!

take care

Chris

PS when youve finished your mates surf could you just nip round and service mine!!!

Comment

Hi
      Most good motor parts stores will have the screw on type if you ask, as for service parts they are mostly the same as uk hilux and are readily available, might be an idea first time to get no's off of parts and make a note of them for your parts man and yourself. My local parts man has got and is confident he can get all service parts for me within 24 hours ie filters,brakes and all consumables. Some toyota dealers will be helpful and some wont, just depends on your local one.
      Most info is available on here so you should have no problems. Good luck with it!!
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Would the Toyota tech CD's (seen loads of copies on eBay) be of any use ?

Though obviously copyright etc may need to be considered.

Comment

I believe that all of the manuals are based on the 4runner which are mostly all petrol engined. The ones that cover the diesels don't cover the turbo.

Max Ellery and Haynes are the ones normally talked about and can be bought on Amazon.

The parts are readily available from Milners http://www.milneroffroad.com/ and Roughtrax http://www.toyotahilux.com/ and a good Toyota dealer will get you the parts if you go armed with the Engine and Frame number from the information plate under the bonnet.

The wipers are the same as a UK 4runner and can be got from a Toyota dealer who should also be able to sell you the blades on their own if you take the wiper in with you.

For general service info goto here http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...22&postcount=1 anything you're really stuck on post a thread in the technical sections and everybody will be willing to help if they can.

For your info Toyota recommend an Oil Change every 3000 miles (5000km) and oil + filter every 6000. Here is a service schedule for the 3.0 which will basically be the same. http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...le%20Prado.pdf

Rich.
          Last edited by rich; 13 September 2004, 11:01.
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

If it's the ones that I have downloaded then it is all general Toyota training stuff and of little use unless you want to know about transistors in automotive applications!

R.

Originally posted by ozzig
            Would the Toyota tech CD's (seen loads of copies on eBay) be of any use ?

Though obviously copyright etc may need to be considered.

Comment

Great feedback thanks.

Think I'll get the owner to stump up for the handbook and Haynes before I do too much more than a routine service.

So it looks like the oil and fuel filter will be OK locally as they seem to be the same as the HiLux, wipers I'll make sure they come with the screw adaptor bits.

Things I have to look forward to are a clicking no-start often and black smoke under power and on startup. I'll post seperately about those in technical. (BTW - Seen the links and might try a starter repair on the click issue)

David

Comment

black smoke on start-up and under power comes as standard on a diesel though???
                tim
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

especially when they need a service!

Originally posted by dirtydog
                  black smoke on start-up and under power comes as standard on a diesel though???
                  tim

Comment

The starter is a common one and it is likely to be the contacts.
                    Originally posted by DroveRunner

Things I have to look forward to are a clicking no-start often and black smoke under power and on startup. I'll post seperately about those in technical. (BTW - Seen the links and might try a starter repair on the click issue)

David

Comment

Originally posted by rich
                      especially when they need a service!
                      ahh yes. my Dad has a LandCruiser 4.2TD and always smokes under power and gets serviced lots... are Surfs the same? I havent a clue about them (yet!).
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

In danger of highjacking David's thread but here goes.

edit: It is actually relevant to one David's threads so no danger!

Black smoke can be caused by a few things but it is generally down to unburnt fuel.

This can be caused by cheap fuel, bad air fuel mix (Needs a new air filter for example) or in the extreme fuel pump timing. Diesels generally smoke in startup 'cause the fuel is not burning efficiently when it is cold (Hence the need for glow plugs)

As a vehicle gets older it will inevitably get carbon deposits building up in the engine which will also contribute to a reduction in the combustion process.

As an aside I have read and heard great things about powerboost from Ecotek http://www.ecotekplc.com/power_boost.htm which is an engine decoke in a can. I have ordered a can to do mine so I will post the results in a separate thread when I do it. I am currently monitoring things after the installation of a Broquet fuel catalyst http://www.broquet.co.uk which from first appearances has also made a difference to removing all smoke and increasing fuel economy. As soon as I have more data I will post it so please don't hijack this thread about them

Rich.
                        Last edited by rich; 13 September 2004, 13:11.

Comment

Working...
                        X