scotty's surf, 3 weeks in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scotty's surf, 3 weeks in.

well, its been 3 weeks now,and im still really happy with this beauty.

however,a few small issues have raised themselfs. nasty bit of corrosion on the brake pipes, which i should have spotted,so my bad.

and a split inner CV boot.

and ,of course, thanks to the apalling condition of the roads here in wiltshire, the anti-roll bar bracket took off !

also found out that the buttons for releasing the rear seats where missing, but i did find half of one in the cab, so turned up a couple on the CNC lathe at work at lunch time.

and thanks to the fact i can (nearly) chuck a stone at Roughtrax from where i work,( a deciding factor for me when it came to looking at surfs) i took a trip over after work today and stocked up on a few goodies!

quite well priced,i thought. and i must say that barry and his staff were very helpfull and friendly, real nice people. i knew a 21 year old truck would need some work doing,so all in all still really happy with the beast, so much fun to drive. im going to enjoy surf ownership

Comment

Shiny
      Vince will be pleased
      A shiny Surf is a happy Surf.

Arb brackets are unfortunately almost a service item.
      My theory is the constant rubbing wears away the paint which exposes the bare metal water gets in between the rubber and the brackets and hastens the corrosion and voila weakens the brackets and causes them to split.
      That's my theory any way
      My arb brackets awaiting a second coat of paint then when they get bolted back on they are going to be covered in the thickest grease I can find.

If you do your brake lines yourself you are more than welcome to borrow my brake flare kit.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

many thanks for that offer,cheers. giving it straight to my mechanic for that!
        going to do the ARB and drop links myself,but both CV kits and brakes are just not my bag, its just too similar to work! i'll get my hands dirty if im being paid for it, but im an engineer ,not a mechanic, so i just leave it for people that know what they are doing.
        as for shiny,i spent last weekend with a mop and polisher on it,and was gob-smacked to find just how good it came up! i found 3 small scratches less than an inch long on the entire body (???) doubt this has seen a supermarket car park in its life. shame the windows let it down, but i'll be putting it into auto asylum for a proper tinting job once i've got the old stuff off. first job to do, i think must be the underside.

Comment

It could just be me but are those rusty pipes not the rear heater pipes?
          That Surf looks very tidy by the way.
          Can you come and polish mine?

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
            It could just be me but are those rusty pipes not the rear heater pipes?
            That Surf looks very tidy by the way.
            Can you come and polish mine?
            Looked like the heater pipes to me too??
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
              No doubt his mechanic can sort it out
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
                rear heater pipes? please dont say these fraile tiny pipes are something to do with the legendry coolant system!!
                now im worried, better get back under and find out where they go to

Comment

Yep they are!
                  Poxy bit of design work alongside the centre console arm rest!
                  Must have been an ex Vauxhall designers last job at Toyota
                  Last edited by Dobbslc; 21 June 2014, 08:54.

Comment

Delete them in the engine bay, who needs rear heaters anyway.
                    I am sure those pipes have been the cause of many coolant issues over the years. My brothers first Surf only showed a misting leak from them when hot, however, more than enough to seriously concern. Get rid of then and be done with it.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                      Delete them in the engine bay, who needs rear heaters anyway.
                      I am sure those pipes have been the cause of many coolant issues over the years. My brothers first Surf only showed a misting leak from them when hot, however, more than enough to seriously concern. Get rid of then and be done with it.
                      you live and learn !again, my bad, just saw the pipes and jump to the conclusion that they were brake pipes.and i agree about the rear heater, if your not upfront with me,your just cargo! (and why are you taking up valuable fishing tackle space?) but these tiny pipes have coolant in them?
                      i've had over 50 jap bikes and 6 odd jap cars and ive always been a fan of their engineering ( as a machinist, know your competion) but this is the sort of dum arse idea i would expect to come out of a Rover or British leyland plant
                      WTF??

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                        Yep they are!
                        Poxy bit of design work alongside the centre console arm rest!
                        Must have been an ex Vauxhall designers last job at Toyota
                        Your not wrong, mate.
                        and next time im up your way, i'll bring my polisher

Comment

ARB brackets and bushes ,done. ###### droplinks wont shift at all,been sprayingWD40 on them for a couple of days now,in preperation for removal. not sure the spacers are in the corect order either,or is me?

looking at the new ones,i just thought it looked odd.

or is it just me

Comment

Also,while fitting a new filter and having a general engine bay tidy up

i remembered this

which the former owner said was for better economy, does anyone know if this is correct?
                            or is it bovine fecal matter

Comment

Just cut the old ones off, it's not like you need to put them back on, the spacers do look as though they are the wrong way round though

Comment

Working...
                              X