Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant/Engine bay Temperatures

Just incase someone is interested...

All measured today in a ambient of 25'C after the truck had been idling for 45 mins (fast idle) bonnet closed
    Radiator top tank at hose outlet 88.7'C
    Turbo body(exhaust side) 121'C
    Turbo outlet to crossover pipe 50'C
    ATF modded stand alone cooler IN 48'C
    ATF ditto OUT 43'C

Air filtering out bonnet shut lines 45'C

Measured using a K type thermocouple
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

5 degree drop across the ATF cooler is interesting...

Is it practicle to measure that under driving conditions?

Comment

I was quite surprised that the auto box generated that amount of heat, which would add to the cooling load already imposed on the radiator.
      Bit of a double edged sword though, if I follow the logic correctly, the oem cooler is actually adding more heat to the auto box as at those conditions the cooler is sitting in a bath of very hot water and as heat flows from hot to cold it will heat up the ATF and when the auto box is used hard or at least not in lock up it will effect the cooling of the radiator, which will generally be at lower speeds when the radiator is relying on the probably dry viscous fan and electric fan back up.

So I wonder when the auto box has been used hard what the ATF temps will be and if the radiator can still dissipate the heat load of the auto box.

The 5'C drop over the cooler is I guess about what I expected.
      I can improve the cooling if required by making up some ducting to channel the air from the viscous fan to pull through the stand alone cooler.

More thinking
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I'd bet (would love to know from real measurement) that the auto box under load will be nearer 100 degrees...warming the ATF will reduce drag during the warm up phase of the box, but after that it must add some stress to the cooling system.

I have wondered for some time if the cooling of the autos was a little inadequate...
        Last edited by andyverran; 14 June 2014, 22:08.

Comment

100'C mildly

I was rather hoping for something around 80-90'C

But if is it around 100'C, and I have no reason to doubt you, I very much doubt that the radiator could provide any decent amount of ATF cooling, might be able to maintain the temp but probably at the expense of water temperature rise.

So much happier to have gone the stand alone route now and not the additional route.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

If you could test it we could get a real number?

Comment

In lock up, the auto box is generating little heat and with airflow across the pan doing a bit of cooling, your in rad heat exchanger ( not a cooler ) is adding heat to your ATF . Its also I suppose assisting engine jacket cooling. However out of lock up, when the truck is working, the ATF does then get hot and adds a bit to the radiator. Not a lot mind as the in rad exchanger doesnt have that big a surface area,
              Last edited by Bogus; 14 June 2014, 22:48. Reason: speeling eerors
              Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                If you could test it we could get a real number?
                Currently she is SORN.
                I have a few more jobs to do/more money to earn before I can get an MOT booked.
                I'm using this time to get all those jobs that I have put off finally done, as before the truck was being used at the MRS's daily drive and all the running repairs had to be done on a saturday ready for the start of her week.

Now, however I can afford to take my time and my truck is now once again more of a hobby than a daily necessity.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                X