ElecSurf or SurfEnstein or something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElecSurf or SurfEnstein or something!

the short version is - While doing the ATF pipes I've found some other issues with the truck:
    1 - the sump is very, very rusty
    2 - there's a major oil leak at the back of the engine...can't see if it's head or torque converter, but the oil is leaking down the joint to the gearbox/engine.
    3 - I've had some noises from the gearbox that I think may be torque converter since I got it, figured I'd wait till it went bang but won't be worth the effort to repair as I'd be removing it to convert anyway.
    4 - the rear heater pipes are also ruined, I have some in the gargage as it happens, but it may not be worth it.

@Sy - I need some less rustly wishbones LOL

So, something I've been talking to Ady about (off the forum) is replacing the whole drive train (including the transfer box) with a pair of electric motors and all the gubbins to go with them...that would allow me to through away all the knackered bits (body and chassis are pretty good) ...

I don't have the cash right now, just thought I'd see what people thought...

I had originally intended to do it to a Celica and keep the Surf for fun weekends, that just may not be viable.

Thoughts chaps?

Electric, new age, PC friendly, driven by tree huggers and the poor people who can't afford a real car, lol

However, I have just watched an episode of Sin City Cars and they converted a 1932 Buick or Oldsmobile into an electric hot rod, great conversion and a good looking car, not sure how it would work with a Surf though.

Worth a try, if you don't try, you won't know

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
      Electric, new age, PC friendly, driven by tree huggers and the poor people who can't afford a real car, lol

However, I have just watched an episode of Sin City Cars and they converted a 1932 Buick or Oldsmobile into an electric hot rod, great conversion and a good looking car, not sure how it would work with a Surf though.

Worth a try, if you don't try, you won't know
      haha, if could afford a real car....I'd be fairly pleased to afford real fuel.

Try this:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=369h-SEBXd8

Forget the trees, feel the speed.
      Last edited by andyverran; 1 June 2014, 00:43.

Comment

looks good, theres a lot of experimenting going on at present with different forms of fuel.

it will certainly be a conversation starter

Comment

If this ever ends up in the Modification section as a real job I'll eat my hat.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
            Amazing, that!

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
              If this ever ends up in the Modification section as a real job I'll eat my hat.
              Is it a much loved hat, saved for special occasions?

Comment

My Tommy cooper fez.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                  My Tommy cooper fez.
                  Just as long as your not sacrificing a family heirloom....

Comment

Working...
                  X