Mechless Stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechless Stereo

Just curious for a few opinions on stereo options for my truck.

The head unit in the truck needs to be changed.

All of my music is stored on a iPod, which makes carrying around boxes of CD's pointless.

I like the idea of being able to scroll through the iPod to find the music I want as opposed to getting your passenger to shuffle through the CD's, mixing up the disks in the wrong cases etc.

Anyone have any experience with these mechless designs that they would like to share or know of any bargains or pitfalls with these?

I should add that Kruggerands do not fall from my wallet.

Cheers.
    Last edited by shokenore; 25 May 2014, 12:59. Reason: mo info
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

I have a base model Alpine head unit and it works very well with the ipod, so imagine their mechless units would be very good

Comment

i had one of these in the surf, alpine ida-x001

was great, had a half decent screen so you could clearly see what the ipod is doing...

keep an eye on ebay and you can pick one up cheap enough, i paid €150 for mine 2nd hand.

it now sits in the garage connected to an amp and speakers there...

Comment

Learning all the time. I never new that somebody had invented a name ( mechless) for head units without CD players, but duck duck go helped me out on that.
        Ive still got a mechful ( new word ?? )Sony unit in the Surf, but I fitted a cheapish JVC mechless in the Landcruiser with blue teeth and a USB port, I have a couple of sticks with Music on and I use the blue teeth for the IPOD and of course the phone. All works just fine and dandy, but Im not an audiophile and dont think that a vehicle is a concert hall, so Im easy pleased.
        Сви можемо

Comment

People into their audio stuff are upgrading and bargain App radios can be bought on eBay...you may have seen the one I have that I posted pics of in the " what have you fitted lately " thread.

They fit in the double din hole of the surf with a nice big touch screen. Pioneer for Apple iPods. Sony for android. It also has loads of other uses such as free sat nav maps for most places around the world...you just have to download the maps to your phone...all free. You can download films, music vids and music concerts of your fav band to watch on the screen all free as well....not while driving of course...
          .... Which was nice.

Comment

i've only got a cheap mechless in the work ute. but use a very small usb stick. some also come with microSD card slot.
            boss plays the music off his phone through BT.
            why would anyone want to use cd's in a car!

Comment

I've got one of the Alpine double DIN screens in mine, it does have a DVD player (you can also fill a DVD with MP3s), but I mainly use it for the iPod. (IVA-W202R, its a bit old now...)

for at £80 add on I added Bluetooth handsfree, so I can control my phone and iPod through the touchscreen, and make and receive calls handsfree.

The bargain was finding the sat nav module for £35 on Fleabay to go with it.

I put one of the smaller Alpine ones in my exe's MR2, that has USB, and iPod control, and also took the Bluetooth hands free kit. I hada quick google, it looks like it was an IDA-X100.

I'd recommend both units.
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

I have a cassette player. I still have an 8 track in the loft. I have lots of vinyl as well...goddam kids.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

im a vinyl man myself!
                  DAB radio in both cars, tuned to 'planet rock'. they seem to have my record collection on all the time

Comment

Shelled out a dramatic £2.70 on a mechless generic brand unit from eBay.

Wiring seemed incredibly easy.
                    Happy to report that the sound quality is better than the pioneer unit it has replaced.
                    I may not keep this one but will probably upgrade to a named unit in the future.

Anybody want a pioneer head unit?
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                      I have a cassette player. I still have an 8 track in the loft. I have lots of vinyl as well...goddam kids.

Yeh but you are 88, let us kids have our fun with our MP3 things and the like.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

87...bleedin whippersnaperrs.
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                        X