Another tyre thread.... Speed rating on A/Ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tyre thread.... Speed rating on A/Ts

Hi Folks, I know there are LOADS of threads on tyres, and I have searched...

I an due to get all 5 wheels refurbed soon, and want another set of all terrains..

One thing I have noticed is that nearly all all terrains have a speed rating of under 100mph..

Now without going off on a tangent with saying that you'll never need to go faster, a surf isn't that fast, or they are not stable enough to do that sort of speed... Does anyone have any A/T recommendations for the... err, "more frequent motorway user"

Best choices so far are the BFGoodrich T/A KO which seems to have an R rated version,

and the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S Which comes in "S" rated...

I've previously had the BGFs, and they seem good, I'm not really fussed about noise, but ride... Does anyoneone have any experience of the Yokos, ideally that's had experience of both!

Honestly, with all the work I've done I can't see me diving off road again, been there, done that, but I like to have the option open should I so desire...

Sorry weird ask, but if anyone can answer, I'll probably find them on here!

What else do the other V8 guys run?
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Don't know what size you are looking at but just to probably confuse the situation what about a performance SUV tyre?
    Pirelli Scorpion?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I've recently put a set of Yokohama Geolander AT S tyres on my 3rd gen (265 70 16)
      I find they are very good all round, I don't really go off road.
      Loads of grip in wet and dry conditions with a nice chunky look for AT type tyres.
      They are a tiny bit noisier than the old set of baldys I had on but still quite enough for 80 mph motorway use.
      I'm well impressed with them.
      Cost about £120 each.
      Hope this is of some help.

Comment

I've had GG a/t2's on my 4x4's past and present.
        All "s" rated 112 MPH. Never had an issue with them at constant high
        speeds.

Gaz

Comment

Thanks guys...
          Sorry I didn't mention size, 285/75/16

I'm not sure how much of a "margin of error" speed ratings have... obviously you don't want to mess about with this sort of thing... but I imagine for it to be rated there, it has to happily sit there all day long..

Not the odd few moments of foot down that they are likely to see in the real world...
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

My kid sisters SSRX has Coopers HT's and I'm suspecting they are the cause of the car following ruts and seams in the road, so unless anyone rubbishes that suspicion, i would stay clear of them for that reason.
            I have BFG's on my Pajero and previous Challenger and would not fit anything else...

HTH

K

Comment

Might not be relevant here, but I had a set of four Geolanders fitted to my wife's old Rav4, and found them to be a truly excellent all-round tyre. Very grippy in the snow, but still quiet on the road.

We did a few motorway trips on them, not at particularly high speed, but yeah, very stable and quiet.

Cheers, Ron.

Comment

I've got the Geolanders on my Wrangler, Noisy and not very good in the mud.
                But have worn quite well.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

BFG's All the way!!
                  Mine have done 30k miles ,and not dead yet!!
                  My work is nearly all 90-130 KPH driving with the trailer on the back
                  I was always under the impression that if something was approved to a speed or weight, then it should be good for twice that!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Tyres

I've got D697 Dueler tyres on 15" rims, and I pulled a top speed of 140km/h on the freeway

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                      Don't know what size you are looking at but just to probably confuse the situation what about a performance SUV tyre?
                      Pirelli Scorpion?

I had those in 18" flavour, great on the road but not very good at pulling a caravan across wet grass though....
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....41&postcount=1

Comment

Working...
                      X