KZN185 rear hub seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 rear hub seals

I'm looking at my kid sisters Hilux service history before tackling a number of jobs for her and
    I notice that over the years she has been charged for replacing rear hub seals and oil contaminated brake shoes as well as regular Diff oil top ups... These appear to be an annual service item which doesnt sound right to me. Its been a year since she last had it serviced and has covered around 5000 miles since then so it will be interesting to see if there is a problem with the seals again this year... Are these a known problem, or is she unlucky with this car or is the usual service garage being less than honest? I mean there are two services two months apart for the same thing with less than 800 miles between... I would have expected they would have done the second one free as the first had not been done properly?
    Any advice appreciated
    K

I have a similar experience to your sister.
    I had a rear wheel bearing replaced on my Gen 3 a couple of years ago by a local garage. They obviously had a struggle to do the job and seem to have damaged the halfshaft.
    Consequently, the oil seals wear out quickly and leak oil onto the brake shoes. Putting in a new seal and shoes just before the MoT has become a normal part of life. Unfortunately, I didn't realise what had happened for about 9 months and I can't see the damaged area when I take out the halfshaft which is a bit annoying.
    Sound like your sister's car may have suffered something similar.
    Mark

Comment

I don't think mine have ever been changed...

Only issue with that end was that I had a rear brake seize last service and that was the cause of the rolling-a-bit-after-putting-the-handbrake-on.

Garage stripped and rebuilt the drum and it was fine. They would have mentioned if the seals were on the way out.
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

I don't think my 3rd gen rear seals have ever been done either...

But I have heard that it's a common problem.
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I also posted on the 3.0 TD forum and Bushwhacker pointed me to his excellent "how to" on these seals so I can see what i am up against...
          I'm convinced that my Sis has been ripped off either by being charged for a job not even done or at best not done well hence needing repeat attention.
          First thing I need to do is inspect the hubs and see if there is any sign of seepage and go from there. Hope the weather stays fine this weekend

K

Comment

Ok so no sign of leak from hub seals BUT there was so much grease (not even coppaslip, just normal grease) on the studs and hub flange, i could see that it had been flung out to the outer surfacescof the drum, not enough to contaminate the brake shoes but enough to make the brake dust like a paste. Im guessing that this could have been seen as "leakage" previously... .?

All clean and dry now, ready for the MOT

K

Comment

Working...
            X