Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux classification help

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some help on the type of hilux/surf/4runners that are about. I have in my head an ideal car that I want but I'm starting to think that it might not have been made.

2nd gen 1991-1993 burgandy red with Crome bumpers. 3.0l manual petrol. Without the wheel on the rear door.

I am new to this and finding my feet so im struggling to understand what the types are and what were made. Am i wasting time on finding something that doesnt exist or should I just go for the TD auto that are about. I suppose I want a manual because I like gear changing and I think it might be more fuel efficient(?).

Thanks, Dan
    After a 2nd Gen 3.0L TD manual, preferably red.

2nd gen petroleum was a truly terrible v6
    3rd gen petroleum is a lovely smooth 4 cylinder 2.7ltr
    Brian

Comment

They come with the spare on the rear door and with underslung spare. The 2nd gens come in 2.4 diesel 3.0L diesel , 3.0l V6 petrol which as Yoshie says is not a great variant. ( in fact he says its worse than that and hes probably right )

3rd gens 1996 on had either a 2.7 4cyl petrol engine or a 3.4 V6 petrol, and all diesels were 3.0l some with an intercooler.

All available manual or auto and all available with spare on back or underslung. Manuals rarer than auto. Petrols rarer than diesels. 3.4 petrol is reputed to be pretty nifty, but very thirsty.

I think the 2,4 diesel stopped in 1992. Most common variant on sale is 3.0l diesel auto. If you really have to have a manual, because you like playing with your stick, you will find one, but autos are easier to find and a better choice anyway.
      Сви можемо

Comment

You won't find a burgundy 2nd gen with chrome bumpers, unless you retro fit them.

There's a metallic red version (SSRG) with chrome bumpers, but they were all 2.4 diesel I believe....
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks,

Image found on Google..

I suppose i'm looking for this but in the UK, just not found it yet. Thinking it might be better to just get the next best one.

Thanks, would probably fit it with them then. I think its all down to my dad having one, in red with the chrome. But that was a 2.4 auto diesel. Would love to see if that car is still about.
          Last edited by dman-lewis; 2 April 2014, 20:29.
          After a 2nd Gen 3.0L TD manual, preferably red.

Comment

Originally posted by dman-lewis View Post
            Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some help on the type of hilux/surf/4runners that are about. I have in my head an ideal car that I want but I'm starting to think that it might not have been made.

2nd gen 1991-1993 burgandy red with Crome bumpers. 3.0l manual petrol. Without the wheel on the rear door.

I am new to this and finding my feet so im struggling to understand what the types are and what were made. Am i wasting time on finding something that doesnt exist or should I just go for the TD auto that are about. I suppose I want a manual because I like gear changing and I think it might be more fuel efficient(?).

Thanks, Dan
            Hey Dan. this wiki on Surfs may enlighten you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux_Surf
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

This place has lots of info on engine specs.

Interesting that it says 3rd gens have a common rail version (KDN185) but I've never heard of one in the UK. Does it exist ?

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                This place has lots of info on engine specs.

Interesting that it says 3rd gens have a common rail version (KDN185) but I've never heard of one in the UK. Does it exist ?

Probably referring to the D4D engine.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Probably referring to the D4D engine.
                  Thanks Vince - I've heard of the D4D engine , Just never seen mention of anyone in the UK owning a Surf with one in it.

Comment

Working...
                  X