Holey hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holey hell

Its been a week of holes in pipes. First the exhaust bracket on the surf came away leaving a half inch hole in the pipe. Then got a notice from South West Water to say there is a leak between our water meter and the house. Guess which one is nice and cheap to repair and the other one not. (Clue our water meter is over 900 metres from the house across two different farmers fields).

Ouch....
    That happened to a mate of mine, she hired a digger and bought the pipe...did the whole job herself for a few £'s...water bourd was asking something daft like £5000...

Comment

Try checking the joints at the water meter and at the house first.
      Fingers crossed it could be a simple fix

What sort of pipe is it ? Mdpe, pvc, cast, copper, lead ?
      if it's mdpe / pvc it is likely to be on a joint unless someone has damaged it
      cast, it could be anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadyadie View Post
        What sort of pipe is it ? Mdpe, pvc, cast, copper, lead ?
        if it's mdpe / pvc it is likely to be on a joint unless someone has damaged it
        cast, it could be anywhere.
        Yeah, my friends one was some old cast rust...had about 10 leaks in when she got it out...and being on a farm they were charging the water at a business rate, for 3 years before they sent the bill...she practically had a baby opening that post.

Comment

Its 1 inch black plastic pipe. I'm taking a guess at where it comes onto our land (for the last 50 metres of the 900) this weekend and will dig down and put a stopcock on and then also put another stopcock half way between the house and the water meter to see if I can locate which section the leak is in. Looking to see if any ground between here and the meter is unusually wet is a bit of a silly idea at the moment.
          The exhaust pipe cost £18 pounds to fix.

Comment

Turns out that the exhaust repair is not quite as cheap as first thought. The pipe from the centre box is rotted out and so is the tail pipe section. The garage is only charging me £15 to fit the new bits I ordered up from Rough Trax (hope this lasts longer than the three years for the last pipe). Still less expensive than repairing the water mains feed.

Comment

Working...
            X