Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello & welcome Ian

Comment

Hi all, another newbie surfer here . Just done the obligatory first job of stripping down the rear window regulator unfortunately not as successfully as previous author!
      I took the glass out with the tailgate open and removed the regulator no problem. Flushed all the rusty sludge off it and then rubbed down worst corrosion and jenolited it after, all OK and nicely derusted, wd40 everywhere , put it back in , then replaced the glass with extra hands supporting as I fed the regulator wheels into the runners , banged the rods back on and Roberts your fathers brother......all looked fine, window greased up and run up and super till I connected the lock cables when I realised something wasn't right. All the lock plate mechanism seems to be out of sorts, the up/down lock switch doesn't move and the larger opening handle and connecting rod is in the open position when the door is shut so I can only open it by manually turning the lockplates.
      I get the feeling I have setup the regulator incorrectly rather than have broken anything whilst cleaning it up, I didn't take it apart in any way then so my question is about setup . When replacing the glass I wound the regulator arms round under tension till they were just about level with the rubber on the tailgate top then fed them into the regulator arms till they inserted in the slots, then just pushed the glass down. I have no idea what position the associated rods were in , just assumed ( silly me!) That they'd be in position by default.
      Has anyone got any ideas where I've gone wrong?
      Cheers for any suggestions even rude ones ...at least you read it lol

PS. I'm near Pontefract and do Leeds area a lot so anyone want to meet up and compare sob stories in the future I'm up for it !

Comment

Well having reread the thread I thought I'd go out and give it another fiddle. Thanks to the posting of a good pic of the setup I managed to get mine half working and after. 2 cold hours mulling over I realised I hadn't fastened the release handle in position correctly. Only a few mill diff made the rod not align the lock plates so hurrah its now OK.
        Here's a lesson for all, but especially for me lol. Anyway for the future problems of others here's my solution.....put it back right next time! Oh and take more photos beforehand....
        This Muppet is now off to the pub to thaw out.

Comment

Working...
        X