AMC cylinder heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC cylinder heads

I've just been looking for AMC heads on the internet as I need to start getting the truck sorted for my trip to the le man's classic 24hr races next year. I've found euro car parts list one for the 4 runner / kzn 130 "complete" for £479! 18% discount atm.
    That's cheaper than roughtrax' bare head price.
    Roughtrax want £672 for what seems to be the equivalent head with cams, combustion chambers, valve seats etc.
    Questions if anyone else has done this job recently and wants to share info.

1… is this the same as the kzn 185 3rd gen head?
    2… what else would be needed to complete the job?
    3… is it better to get a bare or built head?
    Thanks for any info.
    Rob

Same 3.0 engine in the 2nd and 3rd gens (1KZ-TE)
    You'll need Full gasket set.
    I would buy a fully built head as it will have new valves and seals etc already fitted, saves a lot of time.
    AMC heads are OK AFAIK.

Comment

Thanks Bushwhacker.
      I was vering towards getting the built head as the valve clearances are done already and that will save a lot of messing about.
      I know roughtrax will be good for fast delivery etc and I've noticed euro say " the brand supplied may differ from the image" I won't accept anything else and don't want an argument over it.
      I've done a bit of research on AMC heads and they do seem to have a very good reputation, the VW tdi boys like them.
      I just have to wait for the weather to improve a bit before I start oh and pay for the insurance, sell a bike, buy the head, sell another bike, pay for the French trip etc etc.....

Comment

I have a complete perfectly healthy 3rd gen diesel engine, 100k miles, well serviced, recent new glow plugs.... £400.
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Thanks but I don't really wan't to do an engine swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
            I have a complete perfectly healthy 3rd gen diesel engine, 100k miles, well serviced, recent new glow plugs.... £400.
            Hmmmm..... Does it have a new decent head fitted?
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

I has it's original head, and 100k miles.

Never used to tow and had a OCD maintained cooling system...

I'd have thought it would be less effort to swap an entire engine.. no faffing about with manifolds and gaskets and turbos., its a long block with all ancillaries "as it was lifted out".
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
              X