3 cylinder surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 cylinder surf

Just thought I would give this a mention as it needs to be told.
    my younger brother bought a k reg 2.4 surf a few years back ( the one I have just converted actually), it seemed to be running fine at the time, no loss of power or more than usual smoke out the back. But after about 2 weeks of driving it overheated, so we checked for leaks and found none so topped it up and carried on. About a week later it happened again, topped it up and carried on. About 3 days later it overheated again, so waited for it to cool down, filled it up, and ran it up to temp with the rad cap off, filled it up to the top and watched it slowly go down again? Couldn't work it out as there were no leaks? Checked the oil and that seemed ok although a little milky part way up the dip stick, not a major issue I thought. Anyway I decided it was the head gone so I stripped it off.
    Guess what I found! It was running on only 3 cylinders! The one nearest the cab had disconnected itself from the con rod and the rod had wedged and battered it around till it was about an eight of its original size! Then wedged itself in the barrel. Even with all this it was still running! Turns out all the water was going into the sump where it was sitting on the oil.
    ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!
Working...
X