yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WVO Coolant Heater - where to plumb it?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WVO Coolant Heater - where to plumb it?!

Hi all, I have a coolant fed heater exchanger to fit tomorrow. Like this:

http://www.2toc.co.uk/#!store/cxut

My question is (rather embarrassing..) where are the coolant pipes on a 2.4 Surf?! Im not sure which coolant line is best to plumb it into.

I understand how it works (I think), its just, my mechanical knowledge is still growing...

Any help would be great

Jim

ditch the 2.4 and buy my 3.0

it has a heated fuel filter, and heat exchanger already plumbed in

If you want though on a serious note, i am happy to run you through on the phone how to do it... and what i did...

mine was converted to twin tank system to run on 100%

Comment

Arh - so that's the 'winter pack' people talk of then? 3ltr next, for many many reasons...

James, thats a super sweet offer of a phone call mate. Only issue, is i'm in Estonia right now- going to be driving back to England for crimbo in a few days - and the phone call would kill both our bills. Do you have skype? Or maybe some photos/video of your kit?

Really appreciate the reply

Comment

Unless you have a landline, then I could call you from skype on that? Then its free for you and not far off free for me!

Comment

I do have skype

Bit hetic at the mo saturday good?

Comment

Arh- on saturday I hope to be somewhere between Estonia and Norwich- hopefully Germany. My bad for leaving this so late, but thanks for the offer anyhow.

I can't beleive that there are no images/videos online of coolant fed heater exchanges on a Surf. Not even on here!

Im guess the outside of the heat exchanger gets hot too right, so MUST be mounted to the chasis on the engine bay? But it seems there is no space for it. The one I have measures:

Width: 126mm

Length: 196mm

Height: 96mm

The other thing, is I still don't know where the coolant is.. I guess I have to keep in googling. I'll post links if I find anything for future readers.

Comment

Jim

I have a '93 2.4 SSR-G with a heat exchanger type fuel heater installed. I am not mechanically minded so can't explain what is going on, but I took some photos (in the dark) of the installation that hopefully would be of some use??!

The heat exchanger is on the top left of the bulkhead looking in, and is this design:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/plate-HEAT...-/261350373227

http://s940.photobucket.com/user/iri...0fuel%20heater
              Last edited by DavidB; 17 December 2013, 23:21.

Comment

Sunday evening,?
                Tomorow evening?
                Or thursday evening

Comment

http://s940.photobucket.com/user/iri...0fuel%20heater[/QUOTE]

Thanks loads for the photo David- all makes sense now! The only issue Im having, is the exchange heater I have is HUGE! There is no place to mount it. In desperationy, I took it to three different local mechanics here, who think im mad by the way for using WVO, and who also confirmed there is no space.

So, ive now decided to use three electric heaters. One on the fuel tank, one heater jacket and also an inline glow plug heater. With the new bosch silver batteries I pick up tomorrow, this should at least get me back to the UK! Then, i'll flog the large exchanger and order one more suited... Live amd learn!

So I wont be needing that phone call either (I dont think James) - massive thanks again for the offer!!

I do have one final question which I think can be answered easily in words or by a photo..!!? Again, super primative...

Where is best to run wires for switches from the engine bay into the cab? There must be an existing port I can chase, or do I need drill a hole....

Thanks guys

Comment

Is the O/S battery strapped down?
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Strapped down? Like fastened right? Yeah, both batteries are held down with the metal clamps...

I did just find a rubber bung that goes from the passenger side bay into the glove compartment. I'm thinking this spot will do, although there is not room to feed the cables through the bung, so it will be a bodge job. Thankfully, I dont sit on the passenger side so the 'breeze' wont effect me as much....!!

Comment

Jim

Buy a water powered heat exchanger. And heated fuel filter

I post links Tomorow

But i plumbed mine into the pipes before the heat exchanger.

A mate uses an electric one and he eats alternators

I have a pair of solenoid 3 way valves for sale just what you need

I ran the pipes for the diesel tank along the rhs chassis rail and up through a plug in the boot floor
                        I decided to use the main tank as a veg tank so that i knew when i was going to run out.

I mounted the heat exchanger under the truck. Theres an m6 nut welded to the bottom. I bolted it to that so the and so the fuel was heated as soon as it came out the tank. And then again at the fuel filter.

I had 2 fuel filters. One for diesel and one for veg. So when you purge the system your not trying to rinse all the veg from the fuel filter. I made that mistake on a Peugeot i had ....

Comment

http://bit.ly/1i5308T

http://bit.ly/19VTtcc
                          The heat exchanger i had was 100% better than that one. But
                          Something like that

Comment

As regards to wires
                            I had the solenoid valves near the fuel filter. So wires and 2nd fuel lines ran across the engine bay. The 5 wires went through the bung in the bulkhead under the steering wheel...

Comment

Don't use one or feel the need meself

12+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X