Cold Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Garage

For those of you who have the relative luxury of a garage/workshop, what are you using to heat the space ?

I'm searching for a cheap and safe way of providing some heat to the garage.

Suggestions and even helpful ones gratefully accepted

Ta
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

??????

Comment

A mate made one of these for his workshop. I wouldn't fancy cutting the hole though....

eBay Link
      Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

I need to fix the leaking roof first before I can think about heating it lol

Comment

Originally posted by M8WHR View Post
          A mate made one of these for his workshop. I wouldn't fancy cutting the hole though....

eBay Link
          Remove the valve and flush with water or air line before sparking the plasma.

I have a small Stanley fan heater, takes the chill out but I wouldn't say it heats. 🔩
          The wood burner would result in me standing around it drinking coffee with little work getting done.
          Last edited by yoshie; 2 December 2013, 21:51.
          Brian

Comment

Ah just light a fire in the street

Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              ??????
              Are confused about the luxury of heat?

Originally posted by M8WHR View Post

eBay Link
              Did want something relatively safe

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              Remove the valve and flush with water or air line before sparking the plasma.

I have a small Stanley fan heater, takes the chill out but I wouldn't say it heats. 🔩
              The wood burner would result in me standing around it drinking coffee with little work getting done.
              Was considering a smallish fan heater but I think that would be a bit expensive to run.

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
              Ah just light a fire in the street

Been there, done that.

Was considering something like a solar collector/storage tank type affair.

But with the price of solar collectors I think it may have to be a home brew construction.
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                Are confused about the luxury of heat?
                Yeah.
                I thought you heated a garage by closing the door.

Comment

Cheapest way is probably a calor gas heater. However I wouldn't want an open flame in the garage while I'm using carb cleaner / spraying paint etc.

I was given a set of quilted overalls that are so warm I can wear jogging bottoms and a t shirt under them and work on the truck outside in the snow and be warm.

I also use 'carpenters' gloves that are fingerless on the thumb and 1st two fingers.

Only time I heat my garage is if I am spraying paint in cold weather. Then I preheat with calor gas and then use a couple of oil filled radiators to keep the chill out while the paint dries.

Rob.

Comment

At least you have a garage, I have to do all my work outside in the drive, loads of space but work depends on the weather, lol

Comment

@wishbone
                      That us one of the reasons for needing the space to be heated, paint spraying and the like.
                      I don't think there is any cost difference between gas and electric, by the time you have bought the gas heater say £50 and the gas at say £30 a bottle.
                      At least with electric the cost can be absorbed into the household electric bill whereas the gas bottles are an upfront cost.
                      The other reason against gas are the fumes and the moisture given off which as soon as it cools down will be condensing on all the surfaces in the garage.

I think for the short term I need to be looking at one of those portable a/c units that heat as well.
                      1000 watts in 3000 watts of lovely hot (43' or so ) dry air out, with the fan circulating the air.
                      No need to turn off when spraying or mixing volatiles, no condensation and pretty much instant heat.
                      Plus during the summer I can get brownie points by moving it inside to help cool the house.Win win
                      Off to eBay to hunt down a bargain.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Got one here...yours for £70. Pay your own postage mind....
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

1000 watts in 3000watts out ? Err....

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                            1000 watts in 3000watts out ? Err....
                            Heat pump technology, if the conditions are right 1Kw electric in. 3Kw of heat out.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I would go down the insulation route first. I done my garage walls and door with 2" polystyrene sheets last winter.
                              Makes it cooler in the summer as well.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
                              X