Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front prop shaft help

Hi,

I need to take my front prop shaft off temporarily in a hurry...

I have removed the bolts at the front and the nuts at the back; the back slides forwards on the fixed bolts but the front seems stuck without anything visibly holding it.

Can anyone advise if I should just be hitting it with a big stick or whether there's a trick to it?

Cheers.

A prybar is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      A prybar is your friend.
      Thanks, I just wanted to make sure there's nothing to be damaged by applying a bit of force as I've not done it before.

Comment

Yep where the prop joins the front diff you'll find 2 of the gaps between bolt holes has a little bit you can fit a lever in. Gentle pressure will pop the join.

Comment

Thanks again; it came off without much force at all and I am mobile again!

Comment

Hi again; following on from this problem, after putting everything back together it turns out I unfortunately need to replace the front differential as it is making a screaming noise like a slipping fan belt above 5MPH.

I have had one sent to me from a breaker on ebay and the auction stated the axle code was the same as mine (G145).

This morning I jacked the front of the truck up and turned the front prop shaft by hand. It takes roughly 3 turns to rotate the wheel once.

The new diff (currently sat on the kitchen floor) takes around 2.75 turns.

I'm a bit paranoid about cleaning this "new" one up then spending money having it fitted for it to turn out to be the wrong ratio.

Can anyone advise a definite way to establish if they are the same or tell me I am being paranoid / a bit thick?

Cheers.

Comment

Could your "roughly 3 turns" and your "around 2.75 turns" be about the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tankerman View Post
                Could your "roughly 3 turns" and your "around 2.75 turns" be about the same thing?
                That's what I'm thinking but was worried it could just be wishful!

I've decided to open it up, clean and paint it anyway regardless of whether it's the right one so I'll count the teeth when I do.

Vince wasn't joking in the ADD removal tutorial, the oil in the thing reeks!

Comment

If it's a LSD diff it should have a sticker on it advising which grade of oil to use.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    If it's a LSD diff it should have a sticker on it advising which grade of oil to use.
                    The sticker says "GL-5" "75W-90". Would the front be limited slip as well as the rear?

Comment

"It Reeks" Catsp1ss rules!

I'm pretty sure only the rear axle would be LSD.
                      Last edited by Tankerman; 5 January 2014, 02:16.

Comment

A G145 diff code is 4.88 LSD rear and
                        4.88 open front.
                        Still on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazcam View Post
                          A G145 diff code is 4.88 LSD rear and
                          4.88 open front.
                          Thanks, that makes the most sense.

Well, I finally got the case off with a fair bit of persuading - 39 teeth to 8 so 4.88 as hoped!

The whole thing is ###### filthy so it's getting a bit of a degrease and then some paint. I've got a can of black Hammerite knocking about - does anyone have any tips for keeping the threads clean if I spray it?

Comment

Masking tape?

(that's what I used anyhow)

Comment

Well...

I finally got chance to have a look at the front diff on my truck last night. Oil was weeping from around the filler plug and dripping from the drain plug.

When I cracked the drain plug, there was a hissing noise as pressure was released. As it has been leaking and there's been an intermittent screaming noise from the front when driving, I presumed it would be nearly empty, however almost 2 litres drained from it. The oil was a bit frothy as well.

I've taken the breather off and blown through it, at first it didn't seem to open but after a couple of blows it did.

So...

I'm coming to the conclusion that the screaming noise might not be from the diff at all but have no way to confirm this yet.

All thoughts, comments (and insults?) are welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X