Coil Spring Compression Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Spring Compression Tool

In advance - please excuse my mechanical ignorance - I'll try to represent the issue as best I can but may get it wrong.

I've got a mate who is attempting to replace the front coil springs on a Merc C class which has very short struts. The normal manual DIY type compression tools don't cut it - he's spent hours without success. The coils need to be compressed almost to the point where they are touching.

What is the best compression tool for this type of job?

PS He is a stubborn b'stard and going to a garage is out of question.

Originally posted by tavvi View Post
    In advance - please excuse my mechanical ignorance - I'll try to represent the issue as best I can but may get it wrong.

I've got a mate who is attempting to replace the front coil springs on a Merc C class which has very short struts. The normal manual DIY type compression tools don't cut it - he's spent hours without success. The coils need to be compressed almost to the point where they are touching.

What is the best compression tool for this type of job?

PS He is a stubborn b'stard and going to a garage is out of question.
    I know how long them springs are, my dad did his own on his merc.
    He used some real hefty threaded bar. I remember him saying it was a pig of a job. These weren't coilovers tho-the spring just sat in a cup top and bottom.

Comment

so something like this is no good?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/coil-sprin...FRPItAodRRYArA
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm wondering if any of the hydraulic tools will be better. To be honest I'm starting to feel sorry for the nutter (more so his wife) and am thinking of an early xmas present (that I miraculously got second-hand off ebay for £30).

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
          Doubt they'll be long enough. The springs my dad did had to compress from about 2.5ft down to about a foot, maybe more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
            Doubt they'll be long enough. The springs my dad did had to compress from about 2.5ft down to about a foot, maybe more.
            How about..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-RE2...p2054897.l4276
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
              That looks like it will do the job of getting the springs onto struts, not sure about using it to fit springs straight into cups on the car. Could work out cheaper to get garage to do it than buying the tool

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
                That looks like it will do the job of getting the springs onto struts, not sure about using it to fit springs straight into cups on the car. Could work out cheaper to get garage to do it than buying the tool
                Yeah, its not the tool I really had in mind. I used to use a mechanical one "back in the day" that would be ideal, I just can't find the right pic!

Comment

Working...
                X