That will teach me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That will teach me!

Well yesterday I thought it was about time Igor got some pre MOT attention so stuck two tyres on him and removed the sidesteps(sidesteps were for my benefit not the MOT&#128522 so far so good (apart from the back wheel claiming squatters rights on the drum&#128563 then moved on to the rear drop links and stuck some nice new bushes on with no dramas(can you see where it's going yet? Then onto the rear inner ARB bushes, been soaking bolts in wd40 and the first one I tried is driver side top and ping head comes right off the bolt...cue lots of gesticulating and profanity from me..it was getting dark so had to leave him as is...now need to decide if I have time to remove the offending bolt or get rid of the ARB until after the mot(next week) but the bushes were an advisory last year..so I'm guessing I have to sort the bolt? The joys of owning a surf 😜

wip it off....it's a definite fail with a broken bolt and knackered bushes....

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
      wip it off....it's a definite fail with a broken bolt and knackered bushes....
      Also do something about that name, Igor...

Comment

Will take you a couple of minutes to chisel off the old nut.

Comment

If it's not fitted, they can't test it.

Take it off and sort out later

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            Will take you a couple of minutes to chisel off the old nut.
            Yup, That's what I did when mine sheared off! Stout chisel and a lump hammer, As said two minute job.

Comment

Haha, his name is IGOR cos reg is K190ROR just suited it TBH!! Looks like chisel the captive but it is then or bite the bullet and let my garage loose on it ££££ bugger...

Comment

Hi all,
                Went back out and had a closer look today and if I can get the rest off without breaking any(about the same odds as lotto numbers coming up!) after chopping out the captive nut could I utilise a small bolt through the back and wack a nut on the bracket side? If I had gotten round to updating my springs/shocks like I planned I wouldn't be bothered about it, but it's a bit wallowy as it is so reckon it will be awful to drive without? Opinions welcome.
                Cheers
                Mike

Comment

I took both mine off after lifting it. feels like a boat to begin with but after a day I was used to it. Plus the extra articulation is a nice bonus.

Comment

ARBs are for gurls.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Just a little concerned that the mot guy remembers it was on there last year and now it's not and fails it??? Don't know what to do now..could always take it to another mot station I guess... Tried getting the idler arm off today as well to replace the bushes.fcuk me they're on to stay an all..nearly dislocated my shoulder trying to undo the 17mm chassis bolts and they didn't budge..another job for the mechanic I guess, used to be ok at this lark but think age is getting the better of me!!! And to top it all my fuel pump has decided it's being left out and started throwing diesel on the floor (looks like the block side seals so no easy fix for that either...feel like selling him and buying a L**d r***r grrr

Comment

Try undoing the nuts on the idler (engine side) rather than the bolt end (in wheel arch). You are using a breaker bar / hex socket on them aren't you ?

tbh reading the thread from the top you might be best dropping the truck into a decent small garage to get the roll bar and idler arm sorted.

Fuel pump - are you running on veg oil ?

Comment

Wishbone,

I think your right, with the limited tools I now own I think a trip to the garage is on the cards.

I only ran it once a year ago on 5ltrs of veg oil mixed with 10 ltrs if diesel but hated the smell so didn't persevere...if I want eau de chip shop I will go stand in my chippy!!

Just the timing sucks big time..

Hey ho, couldn't sell him though cos I love my truck...mostly!!

Comment

Little update,
                            Whipped the ARB off today (was easier than I thought) ordered plus 2" springs from RT, changed the glow plugs (which were properly sha**ed) and it's off to the garage on Tuesday for the test after he has fitted the springs and tweaked the TBs, body lift and MTs next 😊

Comment

Well that didn't go as planned!!
                              Failed the mot on missing rear roll bar??
                              I didn't think he would be able to fail it if it's not there but he has..so it's still in the garage and will be having the ARB reinstalled (then taken back off when I get it home and tested somewhere else next year) didn't change the idler arm bushes and wasn't even mentioned (even though they were advisories last year)
                              But loads of silly ones like "oil leak" etc..tester was obviously in a bad mood today... ####ed off.com

Comment

Working...
                              X