Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be prepared

Greetings to all,

Well we have arrived in Zambia and am hoping to be reunited with my gen 3 Surf in a couple of weeks time. I have a clearing agent bringing it through from Tanzania.

I have a crate leaving from London early December and need to have all the surf stuff I might need on board. here is the list but also hoping for some advice.

5 BF Goodrich A/T's 265 /70 /16. If size incorrect please could some one let me know.
    Full filter kit
    Three belt kit
    Rancho 2" lift springs and gas strut shocks
    I Will need a super tough roof rack to max out loading space. have read various threds on thule bars. could someone please let me know the components I would need to make up a decent rack.

that's it so far.. would appreciate your help.

Drak

If you are doing it properly, I cannot recommend this kit enough:

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...er-_p_785.html

with these to correct the camber/caster

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...2-4R_p_42.html

I think these roof racks are about as smart as you can get too..

http://www.gobitoyota.com/96-4runner.htm

I'd probably get one, if we didn't have so many height restrictions un the UK.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

I agree that the Toyotec would be a much better kit than Rancho.
      I hear that the Rancho kit can give issues with handling,alignment etc, you don't want that on corrugation.
      If something goes wrong with those shocks then your in trouble. They are not available here so you'll probably have to replace the lot I guess, including the longer springs.

The 2" lift won't do much for you here. What you need on these roads is durability.
      If you haven't bought the Rancho kit yet, just get uprated (=slightly thicker) rear and front springs from roughtrax and buy the shocks here, Gabriel Safari.

Don't forget the timing belt kit and maybe a rear axle seal kit, plus the ABS ring (they will bugger it here as they remove the old bearing) all from roughtrax.

Getting hot here, we need the rains!!
      Good luck.

PS: tyre size is correct, you can get very decent tyres here though.

Comment

Thanks for comments,

gobi rack looks great will they deliver to London didn't find price for that either yet (am guessing not in hundreds). Rancher rack looks like what I had in mind

Doing a bit of research today and was wondering if a pedders springs and strut set might be more to my budget. £ 500 mark If not will probably go the 20% upgrade on same height

have factored in timing belt kit but not axle seal and abs ring ( these look pricey too) so will look at that.

any comments on pedders stuff appreciated
        Last edited by Drak; 9 November 2013, 18:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Drak View Post
          Thanks for comments,

gobi rack looks great will they deliver to London didn't find price for that either yet (am guessing not in hundreds). Rancher rack looks like what I had in mind

Doing a bit of research today and was wondering if a pedders springs and strut set might be more to my budget. £ 500 mark If not will probably go the 20% upgrade on same height

have factored in timing belt kit but not axle seal and abs ring ( these look pricey too) so will look at that.

any comments on pedders stuff appreciated

I have never heard of Pedders.
          The only kits you see here are Old Man Emu, or TJM, very expensive but at least if something goes wrong you get representatives in SA and Namibia.
          You could have a holiday in Windhoek and get your kit sorted there if you really want a lift.

UK and USA companies could be a problem: remember import duty rules here. If something went wrong and they need to send you a part, like a replacement shock, on top of other expenses (courier?normal post here is a bit iffy...) you'd have to pay import duty of 100 %.

The seal kit and ABS ring will be much cheaper from roughtrax. Toyota in Lusaka might not have all the seals and bits, often they have to order stuff from Japan, 1 month delivery, and altogether will cost you at least 3 times as much. When I asked Toyota Malawi they quoted me the Kwacha equivalent of £60 for the wheel bearing alone. Roughtrax do the bearing and the seal kit for 25 quid if I'm not mistaken...
          If I had a big enough crate I'd stick one of those "Yoshie" metal front bumpers in it

Comment

You know tashtego, I've been here almost a year now and a lot of what you said has been bourne out. I opted, on your advice, for the 20% stronger springs and in fact I have a friend out here with the two inch lift and my vehicle sits about the same level. Must be the gravity resistance. I recently switched out my shocks the Gabriel safari's were my choice and I got them for the rear but they didn't have the fronts in stock but sold me Monroes which they said were the same. Anyway the car sits well and after a little alignment she is running straight and true.
            I recently ran from Lusaka to Kabompo on the less travelled road Kaoma across the sand road upto Kabompo and its like a new car. Looking forward to travelling back down in a few weeks.
            I have managed to find a Prado rear fuel tank which will strap nicely under the rear of the car. I have opted for a transfer pump to send fuel from rear to main tank and I have found a land cruiser sub/main tank mechanical switcher fuel filler pipe which should finish the job. I am off to South Africa for 6weeks from November and will be leaving my car to have the tank installed. So I am looking forward to the results of my hunting down of parts.
            Anyway wanted to say thanks for the advice. You know your African roads.

Drak

Comment

You are very welcome, I'm glad you are sorted, enjoy your travels!

Comment

Working...
              X