eBay quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay quandary

Any of you lot had any issues with motors bought via eBay not being what was advertised and what was the outcome ?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

If its not as described just walk away. Don't pay a deposit at auction end, go and see it.
    Brian

Comment

I'm going to reply, as my teenager replies to me;

err..dunno. I fawt it was like summfin like buying a Mondeo and yeah like you dint soes like you got a lemon innit.

I'm pretty good at teenager translation now...and I do agree..should have got a Mondeo.

I do believe it's usually caveat emptor here, you know...buyer beware, but in this case, I believe it's more

Emptor magnum est gay dumbass !!

Last edited by gwh200; 2 November 2013, 20:12.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Nothing is ever as advertised.

Good luck.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

In short, yes!

Previous to my current surf (grey), and only a few weeks ago, i won an auction for a tricked out, lifted blue surf, with alloys, snorkel etc.

When it arrived, it looked amazing, but upon closer inspection, it was a death-trap - too many things to list.

When i said i didn't want it, the seller was very unhappy & led to quite an awkward few minutes.

Comment

Awkward as in you're not on his Christmas card list now.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
              Awkward as in you're not on his Christmas card list now.
              LOL! You could say that

Comment

Legally, once you win the auction, the item is yours; you're not bidding to view, you're bidding to buy. You should view the item before you buy it.

If you refuse to pay, the seller is entitled to sue you for the money.

If the seller is a private one, you have absolutely no recourse; as Mr GWH said, caveat emptor.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I started thread this as I didn't to hijack Sylux's build thread.
                  Thanks for the replies.
                  Thanks especially to Graham your reply left me feeling all warm and fuzzy.

I was interested to hear about other peoples experiences when things had gone wrong with eBay auctions.

What happens though when what is auctioned ends up being not as described?
                  Especially when these things are not discovered at the time?

I had spoke to the vendor prior to the auction end, to get more details about the car and nothing was disclosed about the vehicle before the auction end, that gave me any indication of any issues.

I was under the impression that even though the sale of goods act is primarily focused on business traders there is a section that mentions about any goods that must be as described (section 13).

With the faults with the vehicle that have now come to light and with the vehicle being sold as " with no faults what so ever" I was under the impression that I might have some recourse?

I have lodged a complaint with eBay and I am waiting for their outcome.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting some compensation?

Thanks again.
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post

Am I being unreasonable in expecting some compensation?

Thanks again.
                    No! If not as per description then you are entitled to lodge a claim.

Nev.

Comment

I have sent an email to the seller asking very specific details. Then arrived to find they have lied. I.E ... Any big or small dents? Answer no... Only to find big dents. I walked. Any arguments and I just refer eBay to emails and photos I took when I turned up.

Others have been honest and took photos of problem areas. Or highlighted slight running problems.

Only ever took a risk if the car is 100's of miles away and difficult to get to.
                      Last edited by Overland Tonka; 3 November 2013, 18:26.
                      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Of course you have a claim 'not as advertised' I won an item a couple of years ago. No deposit paid and drove 40 miles to go and collect it, it was not as described. I took a couple of discreet photos declined to pay for it and left after stating it was not as described.
                        The seller lodged a complaint that I had won the item and failed to pay for it. I replied along with the photos showing the defects and made reference to his advert which clearly stated perfect condition, it was clearly not.
                        Found in my favour item not as decribed and no obligation to pay for it.
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is in a different situation where he has bought the car, taken it home and noticed the fault a few days later.
                          Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                            Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is in a different situation where he has bought the car, taken it home and noticed the fault a few days later.
                            Basically right.
                            Mahoosive oil leak from oil pump o ring and and oil pump shaft seal.
                            The o ring was split and was slung back together with mastic, instead of a new o ring and the shaft seal was weeping probably damaged when the garage was told to put it back together.
                            Unfortunately the vendor does not know that a friend of a friend works at the garage that did the work.
                            This bill funnily enough was not included in the paperwork supplied with the service history.
                            And by a very strange coincidence I met the very mechanic at a leaving do for one of the MRS work colleagues.
                            I have given the vendor the opportunity to compensate me but he point blank refuses to accept any responsibility.
                            I have passed some of this info to the eBay investigation team so will wait for their result.
                            i also have recourse through the small claims court.
                            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

If you sell a car privately knowing there is a fault but do not declare it you are culpable for the cost of the repair. if how ever you sell the car to a dealer with the same fault and again do not declare it, the dealer has no recourse to you as he, being in the motor trade, has sufficient knowledge and understanding to recognise a fault. I hope this helps. Just realised I have not paid my subs
                              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X