Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG Welder for chassis parts?

Hey all,

I've got a ton of different amp MIG welders to chose from for varying prices and including various bits. I'm looking at ones that do both gas and gasless. I'm looking second-hand as the choice is higher up the scale and lots of extras included. People who have bought for a job or two.

But just wanted to ask about power. What, from experience is a good level to pic from for welding chassis parts including cross-members?

Would a 130-140amp be pushing it? I can't really afford the 250amp choices and I'd not want to put that on a standard ring main.

Eventually i will invest in a great one...but not now.
    Last edited by Sylux; 31 October 2013, 02:37.

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
    Hey all,

I've got a ton of different amp MIG welders to chose from for varying prices and including various bits. I'm looking at ones that do both gas and gasless. I'm looking second-hand as the choice is higher up the scale and lots of extras included. People who have bought for a job or two.

But just wanted to ask about power. What, from experience is a good level to pic from for welding chassis parts including cross-members?

Would a 130-140amp be pushing it? I can't really afford the 250amp choices and I'd not want to put that on a standard ring main.

Eventually i will invest in a great one...but not now.
    I used to run a Sealey 185 mig on a 32amp ring main, but then the fuses where still wire not mcb I don't know if you would get away with that on a modern fuse box especially with there tighter tolerances.
    That was used on 4mm tube and box section when I used to build bikes.

Hope that is some help.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi,
      I run a Clarke 170 turbo mig on a 16 amp breaker and 2.5 mm radial circuit(ring mains are not allowed if France) with no problems!
      The last weekend I welded 5 mm plate onto a scaffold tube no problem, and I've done plenty of heavy welding with it.
      Mine runs .9 mm flux cored wire, not the prettiest results but it gets the job done! You just need to get busy with a flap wheel if you want tidy welds!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Bonjour monsieur snail geezer!

Sy. Ask Yoshie about his welder/welding. He is the font of Scottish welding knowledge.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks very much guys. Helps a ton

Shokenore: Did you find your ring main got hot at any point? If I can run around 180 then I'd be happy with that as a good start.

I don't foresee any long welds atm.

Comment

If you can, run a dedicated feed from the fuse/mcb board to your garage/workshop.

Like your cooker feed.
            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Can't do that which is why I'm asking above.

Well, I could...but I haven't got the time to sort at the moment.

I did my fuse box but amazingly the garage wiring is on a standard 32amp. I say amazingly...but I guess whoever wired it didn't expect to use it for anything heavy duty.

Another option would be to use a generator...but that would be more than me re-wiring the garage

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                Thanks very much guys. Helps a ton

Shokenore: Did you find your ring main got hot at any point? If I can run around 180 then I'd be happy with that as a good start.

I don't foresee any long welds atm.
                I couldn't say one way or the other.
                Sorry
                I know that it didn't blow the fuse.
                I should have stuck an ampclamp on.
                Do you have a modern fuse box?
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

A 32amp dedicated MCB runs a single phase MIG easily
                  Brian

Comment

Thanks

I'm running RCBOs across the board, so the consumer unit was never a concern. It was the wiring, which is old.

But I'll just go a head now Think I'll plumb for a 180 gas/no case semi-diyer job. Learn what I want from one before spending bigger.

If I take to it on a big scale (I don't see that being so - bit part repairs are my future) I'll wire in a dedicated line.

Comment

Evening all,

I'm sure a proper spark will speak up soon, but there seems to be some confusion here with the principles of a Mig which is after all just a transformer.
                      The output amperage is not the same as the supply amperage!
                      E.g 170 amp welder

Primary or input power of 240 v @ 20 amps

Secondary or output power 170 amps @ 18v

I'm not familiar with the calculations but look at it logically, you guys in the UK have a three pin plug with a 13 amp fuse in it!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
                        The output amperage is not the same as the supply amperage!
                        E.g 170 amp welder
                        No, I understand that. I think everyone does. Nothing in my house has a 170amp supply...not even the main feed (60A here).

But if you're pulling a lot out of the thing there still will be fluctuations on the draw feeding it.

Plus, a decent level MIG will not like drawing it's source from an inadequate source and won't give a steady flow.

That's all I'm after achieving. The most stable for my feed.

Comment

Not sure about all that!
                          TBH I'm out of my depth here! All I can tell you is I never have any problems and I can assure you my antiquated French supply will be a lot less stable than you have! I think you'll be just fine.

PS Have you ever had a welding spark go down your ear hole????

Comment

No!

But now you have to spill the beans

Comment

Its not nice experience I can assure you!!!
                              If your lucky its just a small spark that fizzes and burns the wax!
                              Although you end up with a clean ear canal

Comment

Working...
                              X