yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with an interesting Modded DIMOS Surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with an interesting Modded DIMOS Surf?

Hi all,

My name is James & i have just bought my first Surf - sounds like the start of an AA meeting

Anyway, after wanting a surf for years, i have picked mine up this weekend, an ebay purchase, but all is good after greasing up the UJ's and a splosh of injector cleaner in the tank.

The think i would love your help with is the electronic mods that have been carried out on my surf!

It has stickers all over it saying "Dimos Sport, Hi performance by Trick Spot".

Under the bonnet there are a few things that look different! there is a large pot with two pipes coming out with a "Daddy" sticker on!

There is also another pot secured to the bulkhead

And finally a larger copper coloured "chip" to the left of the engine with "DIMOS" embossed into it

There is also a bos with wires under the glove box inside the cab.

Anybody out there have any idea what I've got? or what all this stuff does?

I've searched the Internet for the company DIMOS, but have found nothing - it's a real mystery!

Many thanks

James

Looks like your not the only one puzzled.....I did a search and was taken to our Aussie friends site. No answer, but your not the only one.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?p=67412
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

the last reply made me laugh Aluminium nob!! i'd pay em to come and squat on my real one def wouldn't make em pregnant tho haveing had the snip,
      sounds like this dimos is a Japanese "go faster/fuel saving" snake oil thing, it's very hard to track companys in japan in the net, took me ages to find next to f##kall about the wheels i have, got the maker down to "W works, Osaka"
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi James, I'm in Bradford myself so if you want me to take a look then just let me know. I'll probably be as lost as you are though.

Welcome to the forum.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
          Looks like your not the only one puzzled.....I did a search and was taken to our Aussie friends site. No answer, but your not the only one.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?p=67412
          This is exactly like mine, aluminium nob & all!

I have some pictures that I'll post later...

Comment

Originally posted by Trunks View Post
            This is exactly like mine, aluminium nob & all!

I have some pictures that I'll post later...
            Not all of us want to see your aluminium nob.

Got any pictures of your truck?
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
              Not all of us want to see your aluminium nob.

Got any pictures of your truck?
              ok, I won't post the nob picture

This is the tank to the rear right of the engine bay:

And from another angle:

I've not got my user manual yet, but presumably this is a standard part? Fuel,filter or something?

This is the "dimos" box??!!

And this is what the decals look like:

I found the "boost" button today, my god this thing can shift!

Comment

Looks like a catch can and a boost controller to me ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpen View Post
                  Looks like a catch can and a boost controller to me ?
                  You'll have to forgive me, I'm a complete noob to Hilux's and to diesels. What is a catch can? Does a boost controller alter the point the boost kicks in, or the boost pressure?

Simple explanation please chaps

Comment

Originally posted by trunks View Post
                    you'll have to forgive me, i'm a complete noob to hilux's and to diesels. What is a catch can? Does a boost controller alter the point the boost kicks in, or the boost pressure?

Simple explanation please chaps
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Check you out with your fancy pants cruise control...

Can you post a pic of where the 2 tubes go from the 'daddy' box and the dimos one please

Comment

Catch can and boost controller. Catch can catches oil from engine vent hose before it goes back into the intake. Boost controller can be used to control wastegate opening to raise or lower boost.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                          Check you out with your fancy pants cruise control...
                          Eh? What? Where? Which pic? Should there be a switch inside too?

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                          Can you post a pic of where the 2 tubes go from the 'daddy' box and the dimos one please
                          I'll see what i can do, it's dark now, but i'll nip outside - i may be some time...

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                            Catch can and boost controller. Catch can catches oil from engine vent hose before it goes back into the intake. Boost controller can be used to control wastegate opening to raise or lower boost.

Nev.
                            What I was gonna say

I know it more from my Nissan than my Surf though as not something ive really seen on a 4x4

Comment

Ok, here goes.

The DIMOS "Chip" has two pipes coming form the rear of it - going towards the bulkhead:

these then curve down to the right and head out of sight, down here, behind the fatter pipe in the foreground:

As for the Catch Can, you can see the two pipes going across the bulk-head here:

One of them joins onto a metal pipe that carries on going, here:

Worryingly, the other pipe doesn't connect to anything! But there is an open tube into the manifold (is it the manifold?) here:

and from a different angle:

What is this hole in the manifold? I'm assuming it shouldn't just be left open like that right?

The pipe fitted doesn't seem long enough to fit! Is there a particular type of piping i'd need to buy to get it plumbed properly?

Just for extra info, it's 1993 3Ltr Auto Surf - any recommendations for a workshop manual?

Thanks

James
                              Last edited by Trunks; 31 October 2013, 01:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X