crashed 3rd gen surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crashed 3rd gen surf

Unfortunately I crashed my surf tonight, no one hurt which is really great!

I don't have photos at the moment but I'm looking for a bit of advise, crash happened < 10 miles/h unfortunately both airbags deployed and I know the insurance company will want to write the surf off.

Problem is that the surf means an awful alot to me so if I can I would prefer to keep it on the road. Question is.. it is possible to replace both airbags/sensors and if so what are my options (new or is it possible to get them from a breaker) and what costs am I looking at? Is it crazy to think its ok to use second hand airbags/sensors??

I know i would need a new steering wheel but will I need a new dash also?

I know the sensible thing is to forget about the surf, take the cash and run but I have to ask before the insurance company contact me after the weekend

btw pre crash the surf was in perfect condition........ I'm guess its my heart rather than my head talking tonight so all comments/advise welcome

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-hil...item416cb43188

Ask them if they have a steering wheel too.

The air bag units can be replaced no problem, the passenger side is just bolted in place and plugged into an electrical connector, make sure you disconnect the batteries first though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Ask them if they have a steering wheel too.

The air bag units can be replaced no problem, the passenger side is just bolted in place and plugged into an electrical connector, make sure you disconnect the batteries first though.
      Thanks Bushwacker for the quick reply, I will get in touch with them..

Am I mad to even think about using airbags from a breaker or is this something that happens on a regular basis in the accident/repair business?

Comment

Originally posted by mullinsj View Post
        Thanks Bushwacker for the quick reply, I will get in touch with them..

Am I mad to even think about using airbags from a breaker or is this something that happens on a regular basis in the accident/repair business?

Look at it this way, they can't be re-used once they've been activated.

They are a sealed unit, so can't be tampered with in any way. I have a couple of Lexus units here to sell myself.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Look at it this way, they can't be re-used once they've been activated.

They are a sealed unit, so can't be tampered with in any way. I have a couple of Lexus units here to sell myself.
          Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I'll talk to the repair guy and see if he will use the used parts and more importantly if the insurance company will accept them post repair.

It would be such a shame if i'm forced to let it go, its been 7 good years..

Comment

Here's a video showing how a steering wheel airbag is changed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h21MTrbFxc

Comment

Sorry to hear that

I have a 3rd gen steering wheel and airbag going spare.

I have no idea what they are worth though?

CB
              Last edited by Karma Supra; 26 October 2013, 02:17.
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

sure you can have cash and buy the surf back to fix it!
                the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                  Sorry to hear that

I have a 3rd gen steering wheel and airbag going spare.

I have no idea what they are worth though?

CB
                  Thanks Karma, definitely interested so let me know what kind of money you would be looking for it

Comment

Originally posted by mullinsj View Post
                    Thanks Karma, definitely interested so let me know what kind of money you would be looking for it
                    I removed the entire steering wheel and airbag today. (Fitted my LS400 one)

I saw this on Ebay tho...

I could match the price for the drivers side - as long as shipping to Cork doesn't cost loads more.
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                      sure you can have cash and buy the surf back to fix it!
                      If its classed as a category D write off, the insurance company should give you the option of buy back, I have just gone through this, where the 96 surf ssr-g was valued at £2500.00 they kept £500.00 salvage and I got £2000.00 and the surf back, if you read my recent posts recounting the episode you will see what I got it repaired for which was £1200.00 less than the insurance company were getting it done for. However my air bag(s) never deployed so I can't comment on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                        I could match the price for the drivers side - as long as shipping to Cork doesn't cost loads more.
                        Sounds good, I'm happy with that. Let me know if you get a crazy price for postage and we can work something out

I just need to wait until I get confirmation from the insurance company that they will allow me to buy the surf back. We have a public holiday tomorrow so it will be Tuesday before I can commit 100%

Originally posted by soramad View Post
                        If its classed as a category D write off, the insurance company should give you the option of buy back
                        We don't have a central database or system of categorising crashed cars in Ireland. Insurance companies loosely follow the UK system but with no set rules so it varies from company to company.

Comment

A few photos of the damage.

Its bad but it could be worse.. I will need a new windscreen, drivers headlight, bumper and nudge bar.

Last edited by mullinsj; 1 November 2013, 14:11.

Comment

I've seen plenty of cars driving around just like that, apart from having an intact windscreen.

[Best Irish Accent]Sure, it'll T-Cut out.[/BIA]

Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

my 3rd gen was worse than that needed rad air con rad front light and lower bumper was repaired by insurance cost 1200quid to rep

Trev.

Comment

Working...
                              X