Autobox sensor issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autobox sensor issues

I'm having issues with my autobox going into O/D, and from reading on here and feedback from garage - it seems its the sensor (ECU?).

I'm not mechanically minded, so chances of being able to sort it myself are pretty slim, and the garage quoted me £1800 to do the work!

It's a 1994 (L) 3.0 SSX Surf

Can anyone advise how much realistically this should cost, either for a new sensor or for my one to be removed, refurbed & re-installed.

Many Thanks

If its anything like most Toyota gear boxes it will just be nylon geared shaft that goes through the gearbox casing and drives the speed sensor (which has to be removed (10mm bolt) to fit the shaft), as I have never looked at the surf gear box I don't know how many there are usually 1 but could be 2, they cost about £18.00 from Toyota and readily available but they will want your vin details to get the right one. The fault is that the nylon gear wheel is worn down or has lost cogs. Failing that it could be the sensor itself but failures of these are few and far between.

Comment

It's usually the ECU, not a sensor.(behind the kick panel under the glovebox) If possible swap in one from a working truck to test before buying a decent used one.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I'll see if I can find someone local who'd be willing to help me check it.

Comment

Working...
        X