Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticky ticky ticky

Thats the noise of my 3.0td!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It sounds like its at the top end, I have changed the fuel filter and the injectors (I was incorrectly advised that this was causing the noise). This noise gets louder as the engine warms up, but on occasions goes quieter again!

could the timing belt have slipped a tooth?
    Do cam shafts wear on these?
    do tappets get noisy,
    my Colorado has 347k on it and has never made this noise I know for a fact because I have done all but 28miles of the 347k.
    Old enough to know better but then again.....

Pull the valve cover off and see if a shim has slipped out.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 30 September 2013, 23:31.

Comment

Oh do they do that? I will have a look, how will I know which one has lost it or will it not have gone to far/be very obvious?

I will have to wait till weekend now though there are loads of bits to take off to get to the rocker cover as you will know.

cheers will report back with my findings.

Just seen your drawing it explains how they work in laymans terms (which is handy)
      Last edited by The Boo Crew; 30 September 2013, 23:38.

Comment

Would I be right in guessing that if the above scenario is correct, the engine would not not perform as well as it should due to the valve not opening to its full extent, this will result in the power output being reduced to some amount? I don't have a benchmark to go off as it's been ticky since I bought it therefore I wouldn't be aware of any power loss. My Colorado is a different animal and pulls like a train, its full time four wheel drive and I'd guess geared differently. So not really comparable.

Dave

Comment

Could be one of the exhaust manifold/turbo gaskets.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
          X